Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fedora 8 Review

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hey, I've been running Linux for 2 months know, i learn quickly and i'm loving linux, I'd choose it over windows any day.

I've just updated an up-to-date version of Fedora7 to Fedora8 RC3. The update was a very pleasent process, just had to remove VLC, Kmod-Nvidia and Beryl. At boot, GRUB was changed and a new kernel was available, windows was still there, so far so good. At boot things went very smoothly except the HAL Daemon did not start, setting SELinux to Permissive fixed the issue.

The Login Window is easy to use, i entered root and my pass and was welcomed by the latest version of Gnome (2.20). All my apps and icons were still there and all worked fine, Gnome 2.20 looks very nice and more user-friendly. I did notice a few bugs, the most problematic one was the NetworkManager.7 bug. Upon hooking up my ZD1211 based wireless USB, the manager crashed, everytime. Luckily wlassistant wokred and i was able to succesfully connect to the internet. Pirut launched mush faster and it was easier to use, with a new window to select the repos to use.

when running "yum install kmod-nvidia" yum located the driver (via livna-devel repo) and installed it correctly, i encountered no issues. VLC also installed correctly. upon trying to install Beryl i got a dependency error, searching for a long time revealed the dependency was installed but it was a newer version, so i installed Compiz-Fusion from rpm's.

Fedora located all my CD/DVD drives, my multi-card reader, floppy drive, Maxtor one touch III and my Windows partitions and mounted them all with no problems at all.

I have noticed no other bugs, KDE works fine, OpenOffice works ok, Firefox also, and all other apps on the system. JAVA JRE 1.0.6 seems to not work with LimeWire or Firefox, i will test IcedTea soon. i Have not tested Pulseaudio but it does look promissing.

I'm sure current Fedora users will love the new version and other people willing to try out Fedora will love it also!

-OCM770-

Edited by -OCM770-, 06 November 2007 - 08:50 PM.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Wow, 701 views and no replies, ¡¿What am i doing wrong?!

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hehe, id imagine a lot of people are asking "Whats Fedora?"

nice review...im still running FC4 :S maybe its time to upgrade.