Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP questions (2)

• Please log in to reply

Widkidone

Widkidone

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey guys i have to interesting questions for you. First sometimes when i turn on my computer from a cold start that sometimes its not loading up. i can hear the hard drive spinning but nothing is happening. SO i press the reset button and then i have Windows start like normal. What causes this?

***I just installed a new hard drive because my last one took a dump on me!! So i am getting this problem :mad:

Second, i have ran HiJack This, Ad-Ware SE, Spybot, Spyware blaster, Norton Anti-virus, and Housecall and i do not have virus or anything else. But i have this "WellGet" registry file that comes up on my Crap Cleaner as an issue. Have you guys heard of this issue and what should i do?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Wellget is a download manager which is adware and spyware free

Widkidone

Widkidone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yeah i was doing my research and that is what i found that WellGet is a download manager. But i do not have any download managers. The only thing i do have is a FireFox extension called Download Manager tweak 0.6.5. I have ran SPybot, Ad-Aware SE and they did not pick anything uo. My Norton Anit-virus did not pick anything up. HiJack This did not have anything bad because i checked with the guys here at Geeks To Go.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not sure why it is showing but pcworld.com recommend it

Widkidone

Widkidone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
You have the link to this regarding to this neing adaware/spyware....

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hey man :

As far as your HDD goes try setting your BIOS settings back to default. Is it a SATA hard drive???

Also try editing your registry entries and see what yu can do about the Wellget thing ( i ahve never heard of that before!)

Also try getting Reg Cleaner 4.3 by Jouni Vuorio it'll help yu get rid of all the unwanted registry entries and what not!!

Cheers

:tazz:

Widkidone

Widkidone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
My hard drive is a Western Digital Raptor 74 GB 10000 RPM. i rane that RegCleaner 4.3 and it shows everything with green check marks. SO it found nothing wrong.

Edited by Widkidone, 17 April 2005 - 09:48 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Adware and Spyware Free as in none, but here is the link, read smarter downloads

Wellget article