Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Denied & Other Oddities

• Please log in to reply

Enuff2Bdangerous

Enuff2Bdangerous

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey gang. Once again in need of help. Followed previous topics, MS bulletins and some advice from others. Becoming increasingly frustrated after creating a new profile as instructed. Can't copy any files from previous profile to new. I have made the new and transfer profiles Power Users and given them both ownership of said folders as well as sub-folders and contained files all to no avail. Still get the Access Denied box. At the same time my DVD/RW is gone from My Computer yet still exists in my hardware profile. I have tried uninstall/reinstall and driver removal and updates. I also need some help copying my folders, contacts and messages from my old Outlook to the new. Any help is GREATLY appreciated at this point. Here is my HiJack This! log from 10 minutes ago. Thank you guys. I hope I can contribute here someday in a useful manner.

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   6.35KB   70 downloads

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
HijackThis logs can only be dealt with on this forum section: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Consequently you should not post them anywhere else. Please repost to the correct forum as indicated above.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This does not appear to be malware related...I've reopened the topic.

Enuff2Bdangerous

Enuff2Bdangerous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for reopening this. Just a note. I have yet to find a solution to this issue. Any help is really appreciated. :)

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Does it make any difference if you set the user doing the transferring to a local admin user? As a local admin, if there are files that come up without permission to access, once you take ownership of the files, it will grant permission to access them.

Also, for your missing DVD drive icon, you could try the following to see if it helps, I found these instructions elsewhere:

Click Start, then Run, then enter REGEDIT to open the Registry Editor
Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class entry
Under the Class entry, double click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the UpperFilters entry
Make sure the UpperFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
In the right-hand pane, click ONCE to select the LowerFilters entry
Make sure the LowerFilters entry is highlighted, press Delete, then Yes.
Close the Registry Editor by clicking File, Exit.

Edited by Dave Kruger, 10 November 2007 - 08:28 AM.