Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavillion connecting to a LAN

• Please log in to reply

matrixaffiliate

matrixaffiliate

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I need to get an HP Pavillion a1700n AMD that is currently running Windows XP not Vista to connect to the internet using a LAN connection. I've been able to find out that the motherboard is slightly different then the earlier models, but I can't find anything that tells me how to get around it. I'd appreciate the help, especially seeing as this teacher is already upset with the techs as it is, and this is just adding to the problem.

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I need to get an HP Pavillion a1700n AMD that is currently running Windows XP not Vista to connect to the internet using a LAN connection. I've been able to find out that the motherboard is slightly different then the earlier models, but I can't find anything that tells me how to get around it. I'd appreciate the help, especially seeing as this teacher is already upset with the techs as it is, and this is just adding to the problem.

Does this machine have a Ethernet Card in it? If it does, all you would have to do is to connect a Cat5 cable to it, and you should be able to create a connection to your network quite easily. I am not sure what you mean when you say

the motherboard is slightly different then the earlier models

However, I have Verizon DSL, and can connect to the net by logging into the modem [which is always on] and then just create a new connection in network connections - the proceedure is a little different, for a lan, but basically you want to create the connection and then set it up to the correct situation :)

Good Luck!!

Brian

matrixaffiliate

matrixaffiliate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanx so much Brian! Worked like a charm! :)