Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot turn on Windows auto update

• Please log in to reply

bstardo

bstardo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Every time I boot my pc a window pops up telling me that Windows Automatic Update is not working. I went into the Windows Security Center and was blocked from turning auto update on. I am also blocked from turning it on in the Control Panel. Any suggestions to get auto update to work?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Dial-a-Fix from the link in my signature. Unzip and run dial-a-fix.exe. Check "Fix Windows Updates". Other boxes will also be checked. This is normal. Now Click "Go". This should fix your windows updates problem.

bstardo

bstardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dial a fix worked. I can now turn on auto update. Thank you for your help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Nolan K

Nolan K

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Download Dial-a-Fix from the link in my signature. Unzip and run dial-a-fix.exe. Check "Fix Windows Updates". Other boxes will also be checked. This is normal. Now Click "Go". This should fix your windows updates problem.

I am also having the same problem. AutoUpdate is dimmed out and I cannot enable from any available screen. Not that I want "all" AutoUpdate and Install running ... I'd prefer to choose when to install what is downloaded.

However ... the applicable options are all dimmed out.

I ran the Dial-A-Fix application and it seemed as if it was working, but when checking on the "update" status it was still all "dimmed out".

I am running AVG Anti-virus, Firewall, etc.

I had picked up a virus/malware or something in the past week or so that stopped access to regedit, task manager, setting restore points, etc.. I was also unable to "turn off" my notebook as windows would indicate shutting down, but would never fully clear the wallpaper and start the "power off" process.

I was finally able to get to a restore point when running in SAFE mode and scrubbed the unit again. Upon a regular running of SpySweeper, SpyBot, AdAware, etc. this morning I found that the regedit, task manager and restore points were 'again" shut off. SpyBot was able to restore.

Not sure now if I'm truly clean or not and/or if the AutoUpdate is related to same.

Cheers,

Nolan K.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Nolan K,

Some of the symptoms you describe can be malware-related, so it would be best to have your PC checked in the Malware forum. Please go here and follow the directions, particularly for posting a hijackthis log. Start a new topic in the malware forum, and one of the malware helpers can check you out. Do not post your log here, as this is not the proper place for it.

Nolan K

Nolan K

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Nolan K,

Some of the symptoms you describe can be malware-related, so it would be best to have your PC checked in the Malware forum. Please go here and follow the directions, particularly for posting a hijackthis log. Start a new topic in the malware forum, and one of the malware helpers can check you out. Do not post your log here, as this is not the proper place for it.

Sari,

Tnx for your direction. I'll head over to the Malware area and read through all the data and take it one step at a time.

Edited by Nolan K, 17 December 2007 - 08:58 PM.