Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! I can't hear sound from the Internet!

• Please log in to reply

xXDMONEYXx

xXDMONEYXx

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have a similar problem in XP.

My sound worked fine.

Then I got a vundo virus which Sage5 was kind enough to help me fix.

But after this, sound works fine everywhere except for sound coming from the internet (i.e. streaming video and such). I can play mp3s, video games, movies, etc with sound, but nothing on the internet.

Plus as hkimle pointed out, my audio controls were removed from the tool bar, and they don't reappear if I check them in control panel.

I tried the regedit suggestion, but "wavemapper" already existed in my registry (so I deleted it and added it again ...no change).

Any other suggestions?

:) i have the same exact problem. I think i got this virus from something i downloaded from limewire.
I cant heare any audio from the internet, on any of my browsers, but i can see video. I can play downloaded videos and music fine, but nothing works on the internet. also when i goto blogspots my internet browser freezes then crashes. I have used about 9 different virus protection, spyware, malware and other kinds of protectors/ scanners and i believe the virus is gone. I have tried everything that HK did, nothing worked.

i even tried making a new account on my pc, and it still didnt work.

i figured i would have to use system restore, but after waiting about an hour for system restore to finish, it said "system restore failed! no changes have been made to system" this is begining to be very annoying... i downloaded and reinstalled all my codecs, and tried to reinstall drivers but it didnt change anything.

BTW: When i tried to reinstall drivers, it said " devices not found, restart your computer and try installation again"
that didnt work, and when i checked the audio settings it said no audio devices found. I know nothings wrong with the speakers cause regular dowloaded videos and music work.

:) is this some new virus spreading around?

i dont realy feel like taking my pc to the shop to get it fixed. should i try reinstalling windows?

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi Guys & Gals,

Maybe we should try this: (I'm only talking to the topic creator I noticed other having this problem I do not recommend for you because she just needs his/her driver installed)

I was thinking on the concept of what The Skeptic was talking about.

Maybe we aren't uninstalling correctly, try this:

1.Go into Device Manager, right click on your Sound Driver>Click on Uninstall. Then download the driver again and reinstall it.

To Access Device Manager:
Start -> Right click on My Computer -->Select Properties --->Click the Hardware Tab ---->Click Device Manager

Hope this helps,

Cam

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
ScHwErV Edit

Always be sure to backup your registry before doing anything in it.

First, we need to backup your registry:
Please go to Start > Run
Paste in the following line:regedit /e c:\registrybackup.reg
Click OK.
It won't appear to be doing anything, that's normal.
Your mouse pointer may turn to an hour glass for a minute.
Please continue when it no longer has the hour glass.

End ScHwErV Edit

When all fails google! I did alot of searching and found a working solution since this is so. a wide spread

Problem:

I'm so confused, I hope someone is able to help me. Here's the problem; When a play a movie or song with Windows Media Player or another player I have sound. But when I try to play something off a webpage for example QuickSilverScreen I don't have any sound. There's video but no sound. Not a peep. I don't understand why my laptop is doing this. I've never had this problem before, it's so frustrating ! I've also tried troubleshooting, but that's no help! Please, someone help me solve this problem, I'd be very grateful

Solution:

Hey, I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally fixed my problem. I'm ecstatic about it too! So thanks to everyone for their help. Here's how I fixed the problem for anyone else that comes across this problem. I can't say that this is a solution for everyone, but it worked for me.

Alright the problem is really the mapping of wavemapper in Windows registry as reported by one member of the forum. All you need to do is to open registry editor by going to Start menu, Run, typing regedit and then Enter. After that, in the registry editor, walk yourself through the tree in the left pane, till you reach

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Win dows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

And then on the right pane, right click and click on New, select String value, enter "wavemapper" (without quots of course), ENTER, right click again and click modify under value data type "msacm32.drv", ENTER.

Close the editor. No need to restart. Video on Google and YouTube et al would work fine now.

Source:
http://www.syschat.c...631-post11.html

Another source:
http://www.mydigital...vemapper-trick/

For those that try it here, give feedback for others.

Edited by ScHwErV, 21 April 2008 - 07:48 AM.

xXDMONEYXx

xXDMONEYXx

• Pip
  • 2 posts

ScHwErV Edit

Always be sure to backup your registry before doing anything in it.

First, we need to backup your registry:
Please go to Start > Run
Paste in the following line:regedit /e c:\registrybackup.reg
Click OK.
It won't appear to be doing anything, that's normal.
Your mouse pointer may turn to an hour glass for a minute.
Please continue when it no longer has the hour glass.

End ScHwErV Edit

When all fails google! I did alot of searching and found a working solution since this is so. a wide spread

Solution:

Hey, I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally fixed my problem. I'm ecstatic about it too! So thanks to everyone for their help. Here's how I fixed the problem for anyone else that comes across this problem. I can't say that this is a solution for everyone, but it worked for me.

Alright the problem is really the mapping of wavemapper in Windows registry as reported by one member of the forum. All you need to do is to open registry editor by going to Start menu, Run, typing regedit and then Enter. After that, in the registry editor, walk yourself through the tree in the left pane, till you reach

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Win dows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

And then on the right pane, right click and click on New, select String value, enter "wavemapper" (without quots of course), ENTER, right click again and click modify under value data type "msacm32.drv", ENTER.

Close the editor. No need to restart. Video on Google and YouTube et al would work fine now.

Source:
http://www.syschat.c...631-post11.html

Another source:
http://www.mydigital...vemapper-trick/

For those that try it here, give feedback for others.

umm, ive tried that already, didnt work but guess wat!!!!

MY COMPUTER IS SAVED!!!!

i remember something called system restore so i searched my pc for it, and restored my pc to like 2 months ago, it didnt work for some reason, but when i restored it again to about 5 days ago, before any of this happend, everythig turned out fine!!

EVERY THING WORKS FINE NOW!

but just for safety purposes, i deleted my old account, and all files pertaining to it, and started over on a new account.

Hopefully this helps u all :) now i dont have to spend any money on getting it fixed :)

tiya

tiya

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello
Well I am new to this forum.
I cannot hear sound while viewing youtube, google, yahoo or zshare. But I can hear sounds from downloaded songs or videos.

I have tried doing everything written in the forum but nothing works.....

Please help me and do needful....

Edited by tiya, 19 June 2008 - 07:05 AM.

tiya

tiya

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone
Is this forum really woking...
Its like 12 days I told u guys about my problem but I have not got any solution uptill now.
I think this forum is to help people...i dont think administration is looking into my problem
Please do something good

thanx

tiya

Roaku

Roaku

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, I seem to have a very similar problem.
Only thing is that the sound icon on my computer is still seen and I can click it all I want.

I seem to have no sound on youtube, and to my dismay it worked perfectly two days ago.
I have had no viruses that I know of, and have had regular virus scans in the last two days by MacAfee and Norton.
Nothing of course has been found.

No site offers this much help other than this one, so I have come to complain :3

I have tried all of which has been offered.
None have worked for me.
Neither the change of the already existing file of 'wavemapper' nor the download of the codec.

I wonder if my version of what ever this 'thing' may be is a mutant and has grown immune to the cures given by the previous.. o.o''
If so...How do I rid myself of this mutant without rebooting my computer...
(I don't have anything saved, and saving the current would help little)

If you could help, I would be very grateful~ :)

zohra

zohra

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello
i have the same problem with my computer... no sound from youtube or any internet music, unless i play them on media player .. can someone please help me.. i tryed the instruction given to other members about goign to run and typing regedit.. but it didn;t help!!!

dreamer333

dreamer333

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Im having the same problem with my computer, it only just occured today and it was fine yesterday.
Ive already tried 2 methods of trying to resolve it. The 1st was by going to run and typing regedit, the 2nd way
was by removing flash player and trying to install the lastest flash player.
Unfortunately none of these methods have worked :) .

If you could help me resolve this problem i would be very grateful :)

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Henny123:

Have you tried the suggestions posted earlier??

Advertisements

zohra

zohra

• Pip
  • 2 posts
yes i have henry!
they didn;t work for me!..

dreamer333

dreamer333

• Pip
  • 2 posts
yes i've tried all suggestions and nothing works...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to tiya...dreamer333..Roaku...zohra...
you all need to start your own threads...although your problems may seem similar ...they all may take different solutions to correct...

iman74

iman74

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well all the above didn't work (and I didn't read all the suggestions) you can just get a new sound card, and load that and hope for the best.

As far as the person that backed up the registry tip, people still do that? I stopped doing that for years!!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Well all the above didn't work (and I didn't read all the suggestions) you can just get a new sound card, and load that and hope for the best.

As far as the person that backed up the registry tip, people still do that? I stopped doing that for years!!!

didn't even bother to read all the suggested fixes...and go straight to get a new sound card..????

backing up the registry is a GOOD piece of advice...and yes...SMART people do backup their registry...those that don't is right up there with tap dancing in a minefield...