Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista will not recognize flash drive

• Please log in to reply

khalicoe

khalicoe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a new Sony Vaio 4gb flash drive. When I plug it into the USB on my Vista Home Premium, it's not recognized. I called HP support but was told to check the Sony site; I did, to no avail.

The flash drive is from China and I was told to open the driver download with Winrar. I've downloaded Winrar3.71 but I'm still not able to get the flash drive working.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You downloaded Winrar, but did you follow it through by installing Winrar, extracting the driver files in the download, and installing the driver?
It's unusual for an official driver to require Winrar -- they are usually supplied as 'zip' files which Vista can deal with on it's own without any other software. Where did you get the driver from?

What's also unusual is that both XP and Vista should recognise 99% of flash drive's with no need for an external driver. Vista has more drivers built in than any previous version of Windows.