Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive not reading

• Please log in to reply

Brian8673

Brian8673

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A isn't working properly. It burns/reads any CD but when I insert a DVD it doesn't show up as anything in the drive. It reads only a few of some that I tried earlier. Anyone know what could be the problem?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sounds like the DVD "eye" is either dirty or going bad. Try using a cleaning CD in the drive( it usually doesn't help much). When they usually start having problems i just replace the drive with a new one. I know its not much of an answer but that why these drives are so cheap. They are easier to replace than fix.

SRX660

Brian8673

Brian8673

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
nvm, i made a new user account through XP and tried on that one with DVD Shrink and it all works fine. Thanks though for the help!