Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

organizing media

• Please log in to reply

babar

babar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a utility or app that will safely search for duplicate files and safely remove them.

My problem is that I have thousands of photos of my young family (3 kids under 7), through making slide shows, and disks for other family members I have found myself with a lot of duplicates. To search and open each one would take weeks I'm sure. I am looking for something that will safely remove all but one copy of the photographs, So I don't lose any.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

Babar

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
You can use a program called Duplicate File Finder (DupFiles) to determine the duplicate files on your system. The nice thing is that you can specify the directories to search in, such as C:\Program Files. You can also delete the duplicates with this program, but be careful to only delete the ones you know you don't need. If you are unsure, you can save the output as a CSV file and we can help you out with it.

Another good one would be clonespy.

Regards,

Ax

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
there is a free one
http://www.zultrax.c...inddoublefiles/