Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer won't work with Vista

• Please log in to reply

colette422

colette422

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi, About three months ago I purchased a new computer running Vista Home Premium. Today, I finally connected my Sony Photo Printer and it won't work. I checked on the Sony website and it says it is compatible with Vista. I can see the printer but when I click print, it doesn't print. Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

Thank you,
Colette

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Most new or recently new printers will work on Vista but not usually with the drivers that the printer was supplied with on CD. Most of them need a newer driver for Vista, unless it specifically states "Windows Vista Compatible" either on the printer packaging, the instructions, or on the CD. Where this isn't the case, you simply need to remove the incompatible driver if you already installed it, and download the latest driver for your printer from the Sony website.

Note: Some Sony Photo Printers rely on the Vista driver that's included with Vista (with limited functionality) and in such cases, you don't install an external driver.

Some older Photo Printers may never be Vista compatible (no vista drivers will be written for them)

New Photo Printer models will need a driver download to make them Vista-compatible.

The list of sony printer's compatibility status is here: http://support.sony-...s...=en&f=other

The page for downloading vista drivers (if available for the model you select) is here: http://support.sony-...t...R&m=DPP-EX5

Edited by pip22, 10 November 2007 - 06:03 AM.

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you for your response. My printer was purchased pre-Vista so I was keeping my fingers crossed it would work. I did go to the Sony website and found that my printer, the DPP-FP30, is Vista-compatible and the driver is included with Vista. However, the printer won't work. I tried to delete the driver and re-install it but it won't give me the option to do that. I also went to the sony download page to see if there is a driver available for download, but sadly there is not. Do you have any other suggestions?

colette422

colette422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well I solved the problem. Somehow I found that Vista has two drivers for the DPP-FP30 loaded. One is listed as Microsoft and one is listed as Sony. Everytime I deleted the printer and then plugged it back in, Vista would automatically install the driver. It would not let me pick the driver to install nor would it let me change it. Here's what I finally did right before I gave up and threw it in the garbage. I kept the printer plugged in and turned on then I went to control panel, printers and deleted the printer. Then I manually added a printer and it allowed me to configured the printer myself and pick the driver I wanted. I believe I used the Microsoft driver. I did a test print and sure enough it worked. Thank you for your help! :)