Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Connect to Workgroup Computers

• Please log in to reply

theamazingcorey

theamazingcorey

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a D-Link DIR-625 router hooked up with one desktop (an HP) hooked up via an Ethernet cable and 2 laptops connected wirelessly (an HP and an Acer) all running XP Home and Pro. I was not having any problems transferring files wirelessly between the three. But I just did a restart on the HP laptop and now I cannot seem to connect to the workgroup. The only thing I can think of that screwed me up is, I installed Norton Internet Security and Norton Antispyware 2007 today on this particular laptop. The error message I'm getting is, "(Name of workgroup) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available." If anyone has a solution to this problem, please let me know.

Thank You,
Theamazingcorey

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Almost certainly another classic case of "Norton screwed it up".

Solution -- remove all Norton software. Big mistake installing it, it's infamous for causing connectivity problems, and it's not even that good at security either. The two top security suites are Bitdefender (I use it) and Kaspersky, both available only online.

Bitdefender: http://www.bitdefend...link=homeoficon

Kaspersky: http://usa.kaspersky...omeProducts.php

theamazingcorey

theamazingcorey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks, will give it a shot and see if it works, are both of these antivirus and firewall software or just antivirus?

Edited by theamazingcorey, 10 November 2007 - 09:12 PM.

theamazingcorey

theamazingcorey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
never mind, got it figured out