Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network not found/not connecting

• Please log in to reply

tazical

tazical

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi folks,

I am trying to connect my laptop to my brother's wireless network and am having a few difficulties. The laptop is a Sony Vaio TX2XP running Windows XP and I frequently connect to other networks without a problem. My brother's network is WEP encrypted and he is running a Playstation 3 (wired) and a desktop PC (wireless) with no problems on an AOL broadband connection.

When I first set up the connection it connected fine for one day, then changed to limited or no connectivity status and now the laptop won't connect at all. When I bring up the screen to show available wireless networks all of our neighbour's protected networks are showing up but not my brother's.

Any ideas??

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your brother may have changed to a higher channel number for better performance and to avoid cross-channel interference from neighbours. Normally this isn't a problem because wireless devices using that router can automatically detect channel changes and adapt to it. However, if your brother has the router set to either 12 or 13, some wireless devices cannot use any channel higher than 11. If yours is one of those it won't be able to see the router till your brother knocks it down to a lower channel.

Just one possibility, might be wrong of course.

Edited by pip22, 10 November 2007 - 07:36 AM.

tazical

tazical

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It would appear that higher channels are not the problem since I just got a completely blank look when I asked him about it :) It seems odd that the laptop connected only for a day so I assume I just need to change some setting somewhere. Also forgot to mention that the router is a Linksys WAG354G in case it helps.

Thanks for the suggestion!

pcimagefx

pcimagefx

• Pip
  • 8 posts

It would appear that higher channels are not the problem since I just got a completely blank look when I asked him about it :) It seems odd that the laptop connected only for a day so I assume I just need to change some setting somewhere. Also forgot to mention that the router is a Linksys WAG354G in case it helps.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I would go into the router and verify that you have the correct WEP key entered into your wireless settings in your laptop

http://192.168.1.1

username:
password : admin

re-enter the WEP key in your wireless profile settings.... and you should be good... have you also tried power cycling the device? you could try statically assigning yourself an ip...

IP:192.168.1.25
SUBNET:255.255.255.0
DEFAULT GATEWAY:192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

hayashiryo

hayashiryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I know this is an old topic. But I'm facing a similar situation.

I'm using a Dell and it has a 802.11n card.

I have a G router from DLink.

I had been able to connect the router...in fact my laptop auto connect each time I power up.

But since yesterday, it can't seem to detect the router. I can see a lot of other routers in my area, but not my DLink router. When I go home, my laptop can detect my home router and connect fine.

Any ideas? It's especially weird when it suddenly cannot even detect the router.

Thanks