Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Diablo 2 FPS Issues

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I came back to playing D2 a few weeks ago after having a few years off from it. It seems to run more poorly on my current machine than on the old crappy one from way back when.

It slows down for a few seconds here and there in heavy combat, by myself or with others.

I have the game and my drivers updated. I've tried putting it in various compatability modes, I've tried turning on and off what limited settings there are, I've also tried to set the affinity, what CPUs the game will use, but it won't let me in to give it a go, it says access is denied and it cannot complete the operation.

I'm not sure what else to try to be honest... I can't think of anything I've tried in other older games that made a difference aside from the things I've listed.

Anyone know a solution or just something to try?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Does this only occur when playing online? If so, it is probably an issue with your internet, not your system.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I don't play single player diablo, so I don't know. Also, back then I played on dialup, not on a cable connection like I do now, and I haven't had any issues with any of other games I play.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, why don't you try playing single player for a bit to see if the problem still occurs?

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I went and downloaded a high level necromancer to try out in single player, I still have the slow FPS issue is combat/spell casting.

Edited by ADNoland, 11 November 2007 - 01:21 PM.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I decided I was better off posting on the diabloii.net forums. Just for reference incase anyone else does a search for this problem here is the post, in entirety, that helped me.

AFAIK the problem is that Diablo uses rather old graphics APIs which don't perform well on gfx cards of these days. The solution might be to use a glide wrapper (from here). You add a glide DLL to the Diablo folder, run the video test and select glide as the grphice engine. For me it solved all problems with respect to laggy graphics (GForce 7600 GT), like on Shenk's death, stepping on the pentagram in the CS etc.

That glide wrapper DLL doesn't change or replace anything. It's not considered as a hack in these forums and you can mention the link above and promote it as you like.

What remains for me are server-side or network lags. Sometimes the game comes to a halt for 10 seconds (the monsters, the merc etc. stand still while you still seem to be able to move, but you will hit a "black wall" when moving too far during the lag). When you move on when it's over, the monsters and the character "catch up", i.e. if you cast spells etc or the monsters attack, it happens with insane speed for a few seconds. Needless to say, that can be deadly in certain situations.

Post Link