Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet conections

• Please log in to reply

shakiko

shakiko

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
My internet was working fine but then i got some ram to, i turned he computer off, installed the ram and then turned the compuer back on. And for some reason it keeps on telling me i have limited or no internet conectivity. i know its not my ISP or my router/d-link thing cause, im on my sisters laptop and the internet working just fine. after a little while it said my internet cable is unpluged. and stayed like that .

But it is pluged in. I tried taking it out then put it back it sevrel times and nothing, both behind the computer and on the d-link.

the only thing i recently installed on my computer is parralles workstation (Virtual Machine), Adobe photoshop CS3 extended and then the ram?

can anyone help?

thanks.

Edited by shakiko, 10 November 2007 - 04:58 PM.

Advertisements

shakiko

shakiko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
update: now it just says limited or no internet conections.

please help :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Look in the Device Manager under "Netork Adapters" and see if there is any yellow mark near it. If there is, then the driver has been corrupted and needs reinstallation.

2: If your communication card is a pci card (not integrated in the motherboard), turn off the computer, open the box, take the card out, carefully clean the gold contact with a soft cloth or brush and clean the inside of the slot with a brush. Reinstall the card, reboot and see what happens. Quite often, when you deal with the cards inside the computer (ram, for example) you move other parts and create disconnections. that's what we try to fix here.

shakiko

shakiko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ahh, i dont think im using a pc card, because i opened the computer up and the internet port was conected to the motherboard ( i think) well it wasent conected to any card so i guess so. I also cheaked the device manager and nothing was there, it seemed like everything was working fine.

the ineternet accualy started to work, but then when i re-booted it stop and again with the limited or no conectivity.

any ideas on what to do?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Try to use the cable that is attached to your sister's computer.

2: Try to uninstall the driver in device manager. Before you do that please make sure you have the correct driver to install after you remove the old driver and reboot the computer. Many times windows find the communication driver within it stored drivers (assuming you have sp-2 installed and windows is updated) but in other times you have to install the driver from the drivers installation cd that you should have gotten with your computer, or you have to download it from the motherboard manufacturer site.

3: If still no good you may have to buy a pci communication card (they are quite cheap, cost less then 15$ where I live), install it and install the driver.

By the way, is it the only problem you have with your computer after the installation of the extra ram? Do all other applications run well?

shakiko

shakiko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
we got a new router today, and its conects using USB conection so the internet is working fine now.

but before the internet was working i decided to do i system restore, when i restored, for some reason some programs that i have recently un-instaled have re-appered, and wont let me un-install them. Also , some programs that i just instaled where gone? like photoshop

do you know whats wrong?"