Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd & dvd drives

• Please log in to reply

baumer

baumer

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've lost both my cd and dvd drive. i have ran spyware and virus scans, spy bot and nothing shows up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times but no luck. Have any ideas. I'M LOST

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

baumer

baumer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried what you said to do but I still get a code 39. Any other ideas..............

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Code 39
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Recommended resolution

Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file that is corrupted; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver.

An alternate solution may be to uninstall the appropriate IDE controller driver - most CD units are connected to the Secondary IDE Channel so uninstall that and do a new scan for hardware from Device Manager.

baumer

baumer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for all the help. I finally found the right answer last night and it worked. To get there go to PC [bleep] How to fix Code 39 with DVD/CD-ROM. follow the instructions and it will work.

Gary

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Um, those instructions are exactly the same as the one I linked to first time round... :)
Glad its sorted anyway.