Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about reinstalling Vista

• Please log in to reply

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Ok, so something has gone horribly wrong in my OS, and I think the only option is to try and reinstall Vista. My question is, will doing that wipe out all of my programs and files? I do have a dual partition system, but I don't have enough room on my other partition to transfer everything over.

Advertisements

WhoCares2021

WhoCares2021

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Also, the copy of vista I have is an "upgrade" copy I bought from my school, if that makes any difference.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you re-install Vista, yes, it will wipe everything off including any programs you installed and everything in the 'Documents' folder -- everything that's currently on the C: drive in fact.

I guess you must have had XP already installed when you first installed the Vista upgrade, but that method will only work that one time, since you now plan on re-installing from scratch and XP no longer exists on your PC as a separate OS.

If it's an upgrade Vista CD, unlike previous versions of Windows upgrade discs, Vista upgrade insists that you have an earlier version of Windows actually installed on the target PC -- you can't simply pop in your old Windows CD to prove you have an earlier version. If you have no earlier version installed and you can't find the CD from which to install an earlier version, you might think you're out of luck, but there's a perfectly legal way to make your upgrade CD install when you can't find your 'old' Windows CD
Go here: http://labs.pcw.co.u..._a_vista_u.html

Of course, if you can find your legal copy of XP on disc, you could ignore the above link and just go ahead and install XP first, followed by Vista. However, doing this often leads to errors and permissions problems, which is why many users who know how (as per link above) prefer to use the "clean install" method with their Vista upgrade CD.

After all, even Microsoft themselves advise us all to do a 'clean' install of any OS wherever possible.

Edited by pip22, 15 November 2007 - 05:53 AM.