Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TCP/IP stack problems?

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, everything had been working fine. With BellSouth as my ISP - I used their 6100 Westell modem with a Linksys WRT54G router. I could use PC (Win XP and W98) and Mac (OS 9.2 and 10.4) , wired and wireless. Then the wired W98 stopped connecting. I spent an hour or more with Linksys tech. We changed from Auto settings to a manual setting. Used XP to find numbers, set the 98, rebooted and when we went Start>Run>COMMAND>ipconfig - the numbers had changed. She said it appears I have a TCP/IP stack problem. at - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236926 - it looks more complicated than I'm up to right now! I'm just preturbed that "something" changed what was working and I can't simply put it back like it was!!

Any help or suggestions (including check at another site) will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
A pain I know, but probably quicker in the end, is to fully re-install Windows on the problem machine. A repair install would save time and not touch your document files, but neither would it necessarily fix the connectivity problem A full re-install very likely would.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Please excuse me if I come across as being "ill", I have been online researching my problem for over a week now. One to four hours every day. The wear is getting to me.

Reinstall windows - on my ??? 15 year old computer? I think I've done that once before, seems it was a power surge that really messed things up. Am I in such a dire situation now?
Hmmm - I find a Compaq Selective QuickRestore disk. I have three options listed on included info sheet.
1- Full Restore: Returns computer to original presinstalled software state; reformats HD
2- Typical Restore: Reinstalls basic Compaq drivers and applications without reformating HD
3- Custom Restore: Allows you to select which Compaq drivers or applications you want to reinstall without reformatting your HD.
Well, now I read that the disk included PC Diagnostics. It has something about CAB files and Drivers but it seems those are supposed to already been in computer.
- Now, here's my question - if I do a reinstall, am I going to find a whole bunch of little "connections" that are no longer there? Or is this supposed to be something that fixes the one thing that's wrong and it will not be noticed in any other program or process in any shapre form or fashion?

True, I do not know a lot about computers but - a reinstall, and any associated problems, would be easier than simple fixing my TCP/IP stack (if that's my only problem)??

I await responses.
bamakodaker

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you could try the winsockfix that will usually rebuild your stack....

you could try majorgeeks to see if they still have it or do a google search.... in fact :

http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml

that is the first one I found

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
the edit feature doesn't seem to be working today.... if the above doesn't help I'll try and find the instructions for a manual rebuild of the tcp stack as I haven't done that in a while and not sure I remember it all...

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

I know I've put a lot out there but - please remember, I can not get online with the W98 puter. I know absolutely nothing about manually rebuilding the TCP/IP stack. I would need step by step instructions.
I greatly appreciate the time and help.

bama

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Have you tried downloading the fix available in the MS KB you linked? What was the outcome of that?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Upper respiratory infection has me moving slow.

I haven't tried the suggestion yet. This was something to download? I'm hoping that this is something I can download on my WinXP, copy to a Jump Drive and load it onto my W98.

Hmmm, let's see - my daughter's gone so I'm finished being chauffeur for a while. My wife may come home soon so who knows what I'll have to do! But she's leaving for the weekend - and my boss just called to beg me to work tomorrow! Hopefully I can get to it sometime tonight - before I have to go get my daughter and . . . . .

* * * * * * * * * ed 2

* * WAIT * * re: your MS KB link?? It goes to -
Windows 95 and Windows 98 TCP/IP May Retransmit Packets Prematurely -
which states <<it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article - - Symptoms - When you are transmitting data over high-delay networks (for example, satellite links), transfer throughput may be lower than expected and the number of packets that is retransmitted may be unnecessarily high.>>
Is that my problem? I'm not aware of using satellite links. I am using a DSL Lite connection. I've downloaded the - 236926usa8.exe now - file from that page. I'll copy to Jump Drive and move it to the W98 computer and await your response.

* * * * * * * * * ed 3

I have a winsockfix already on my Win98 ( ) it seems to run fine. I select Fix, very soon it restarts and when back up . . . no help. Still can't get online.
I downloaded the other winsockfix to my Win XP, copied it to a Flash Card (just dragged the winsockfix icon from the Programs folder over to a folder within the card), then drag/copied icon to desktop. When I run that winsockfix nothing happens. I do see it recognizes Win98. I have run it several times. I finally noticed that a window shows up in the lower tray. I open it up an there is a Regestry Editor window that says "Cannot import c:\windows\TEMP.VBDATA/DEL9x.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You can import only registry files."
Any thoughts there??

* * * * * * * * * ed 4

I closed the Registry Window and noticed another window pop into lower tray. Opened it to see the Ipconfig window that was a blank DOS screen. After that sat there for a while it disappeared and now there is a WinsockFix window reading "Registry Import Information not Found" I clicked the OK button and there is a "Repair Completed Please Reboot" - first time I've seen that! I selected "Reboot" and another WinsockFix window appears "Run-time error '53'. File not found". I select this OK button - - all the WinsockFix windows disappeared. I'll reboot - - no good.

* * * * * * * * * ed 5

Here's what I see when I run the BellSouth provided software FastAccess DSL Help Center - - -
LOCAL MACHINE CHECK
Adapter Count = 2 - OK
Adapter#1 VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
DHCP enabled
IP Addresses ip=169.254.88.134 mask=255.255.0.0 gateway= - FAIL
Adapter#2 VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
DHCP enabled
IP Addresses ip=192.168.1.5 mask 255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.1.1 - OK
PING LOOPBACK CHECK
IP 127.0.0.1 PING - OK
MODEM CHECK
Failed to detect modem
GATEWAY CHECK
Adapter#1 VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
DefaultGateway () PING - FAIL
Adapter#2 VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
DefaultGateway (192.168.1.1) PING - FAIL

I've had two Ethernet Adapters for a long time. LONG before this current problem. I remember going thru a process with BellSouth DSL tech who talked me through making sure the settings were the way they should be. We rebooted and kept losing the IP address. At that point he said it was a computer problem and they had done all they could.
Just a reminder - I'm using my Win XP through the same router and modem that had been used by Win98.

Next??
bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 30 November 2007 - 09:13 PM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts

Is that my problem? I'm not aware of using satellite links. I am using a DSL Lite connection.

Shouldn't matter, they were just using satellite as an example, go ahead and install it.

As for the WinSockFix registry file (c:\windows\TEMP.VBDATA/DEL9x.reg). Find the file in explorer, right-click and choose Edit, then paste it into your post inside [code] and [/code] tags for better readability.

Regards,

Ax

Edited by Ax238, 02 December 2007 - 01:17 AM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I mis-typed, left out a slash. The Registry Editor window says it "Cannot import c\windows\TEMP\VBDATA\DEL9x.reg" (and yes, that is exact way of capitalization it uses) You suggested I find it in Explorer - how does one do that?
I did a Search and it didn't find any VBDATA nor a DEL9x.reg., or DEL9x
I tried to follow the address but found no leads in the TEMP folder.

Hmm, just ran that version of WinsockFix again - to verify what the first Registry Editor window reads. This time there is a second (note 2nd) Registry Editor window that reads "Cannot import c\windows\TEMP\VBDATA\Me98.reg. The specified file is not a registry script. You can import only registry files." WinsockFix again did not correct my problem.

I have downloaded, copied over into Win98 computer and ran the "236926usa5.exe now" file/program to install it. It is rebooting and . . . . nope, no help. Still can't get online.

I have to admit I am not following the [code=auto:0] bit - I never done that before. I tried the [code=auto:0] in front and code] behind, bold and not bold. In Preview Post I could see nothing different.

Please don't let my ADHD habits blind you. I'll mention everything that happens and throw in new thoughts as we go along. I'm not meaning to blind you by all the smoke/confusion. I just put it all out there in case in means something to a computer knowledgeable person.

You know, there was something about the way that second Winsockfix downloaded so quick, it makes me wonder if I didn't get a "full" version. I downloaded a winsockxpfix from MajorGeeks (1.4 Mb file?). I'll try that version . . .
Oh, now I remember why I detailed how I copied the file over - is the Winsockfix supposed to be in the Program folder or just sitting on the desktop? I trust I remember it should be on the desktop.
This version (which does detect Win 98) asks "Apply the VB_Winsock fix?" I selected Yes. Moved right through a couple of windows telling what it was doing then went to Reboot . . . Hmmm, it seems to be stuck in "Windows shutting down" mode . . . yep, had to hard shut off (hold on/off button). Restarted and no luck here either.

I ran FastAccess program again - same results as previously noted.

Next??

I greatly appreciate your time and suggestions.

bamakodaker

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
I fixed my code tags, what I get for not paying attention. After running winsockfix and getting the error, you can try going to the run window and typing c:\windows\TEMP\VBDATA and see if you get anywhere from there. Sorry to hear that the update didn't fix the issue.

I found something else, here's a nice tutorial on rebuilding winsock in Windows 98:
http://www.netfaqs.c...ock98/index.asp

Let's try this, rather than WinsockFix.

Regards,

Ax

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey,

Wow - good bit of work to do there! To late for this way late sleepy head. Going to bed and try tomorrow. I had been searching for Manual Rebuild and found - -
Getting to the network properties will vary based on your Windows flavor.

To R&R the stack, get into your network properties. Then remove the TCP/IP protocol. Click OK in the Properties window. Reboot the machine.

After the reboot, get back into your network properties, add the TCP/IP protocol back in. Configure TCP/IP. Click OK in the Properties window and reboot.
My first thought was - just simply put the protocol back in? Where do you "store" it to be able to put it back in?

Anyway, just something to think about. I'll run through your suggested site tomorrow - umm later in the day. I had to try something! It starts off searching for wsock32.dll. I have one in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM as a 40KB Application Extension that was modified 6-7-98 (hey, I said this puter was old!) The other shows up C:\Program Files\Support.com\backup\ws as a File Folder modified 9/7/05. The work up site says to remove a .dll. Is there a way I could save it somehow just in case it was needed?

Much thanks,
bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 02 December 2007 - 02:08 AM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
What you found was here:
http://techrepublic....ssageID=1572756

I'd advise you to first try the solution that I posted, which is specific to Windows 98. If that doesn't work, we can take a look at the other one.

The work up site says to remove a .dll. Is there a way I could save it somehow just in case it was needed?

Yes, you can either move the files to a different location or change the extension to bak by using the rename option.

I look forward to hearing about your results. Let me know of any other questions you have.

Ax

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I was looking around before going to bed -
Control Panel > Network and find I have 1 adapter and 2 protocols.
Control Panel > System and find NO Network Adapter.
I don't remember removing that!

Update - In System Property > Device Manager I selected Refresh and Network Adapter reappeared. I highlighted it > Properties - it is disabled Code 22. (Device - Newtwork adapter. Manufacturer - none, Hardware version - not available) Under Device usage, "Disable in this hardware profile" is selected. When I select Enable Device (I did not restart), it reads "does not have drivers installed Code 10". I select Update Driver - it gets to "insert Network Adapter source disk". I only have the Quick Restore disk. The Wizard seems to be searching for "netnt.cat" file. I've opened the driver zip file but in Browse I can't get down to the unzipped folders. I'm not sure which specific folder has my driver though. I restarted, still had the Code 22, deselected "Disable in this hardware profile" Restarted - same Search problems for driver. Thoughts?

bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 10 December 2007 - 03:36 AM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello bamakodaker,

We seem to be narrowing down on this issue, you've been doing a great job by being very descriptive and examining your system settings yourself. If what you are saying is correct, it would appear to be a driver issue and your recovery disk may not have the necessary driver (it should, but getting it may be more of a challenge than necessary).

You will find the driver for your ethernet adapter at the following link (first download):
http://www.viaarena....mp;SubCatID=127

Please download this driver and install. Follow the instructions at the above link to install your driver. Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Ax