Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply

Shajan

Shajan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,

please help to solve this mystery.

I have a HP Compaq dc5100 MT pc, running windowxp,

recently i formatted and reinstalled xp, but everything except sound was working. Before reinstallation and after reinstallation the Audio driver used was Soundmax (to make sure I searched in HP site and I downloaded and installed the soundmax driver for this make/brand of pc)

There are few funny things.
With sound max driver - no sound coming from internal speaker, but sound is there thru headphone,

I uninstalled soundmax and installed realteck AC97 (WDM400) - this time sound is there from internal speaker, but no sound from headphone.not only that even I plugged in the headphone pin the sound still coming from internal speaker.

and I cannot mute or reduce the master volume control, if want to mute or reduce voulume I have to adjust with the Wave control.

How can I solve it, I want the internal speaker gives sound. when head phone plugged in it should work and internal speaker to be stopped and master volume control to be functioning. anybody please help me

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Regardless of which driver you install, you should only ever get 'bleeps' and 'clicks' from the internal speaker. Since it isn't connected to the sound-chip circuits it can't generate any other type of sound. When you say "internal speaker" do you mean the speakers that sit on your PC desk and which are plugged into the PC case? These are not 'internal'.

According to the Compaq website, the sound driver for your dc5100MT is neither of those you've installed. You need the 'ADI AC97 Integrated Digital Audio Driver' available on this page. Scroll down to second item labelled -- "Driver - Audio"

http://h20000.www2.h...OID=1098#113165

Edited by pip22, 14 November 2007 - 02:15 PM.

Shajan

Shajan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your reply.

I did downloaded from the same link, even it says ADI AC97 Integrated Digital Audio Driver, it is downloading sp36228.exe and when you double click and install it is installing Soundmax (and it was sound max before formatting also), Why I am sure of that bcoz I made a back up of drivers using driver genius. (the link I used is http://h20000.www2.h...;swEnvOID=1093)

Now regarding the sound I can hear musics and voice sounds from films etc. thru this speaker (not just click), the speaker is inside the cpu cover, it was preinstalled.

I think I explained properly.

So please help to solve the problem
waiting for any reply.