Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything printed out shows HTML coding on it

• Please log in to reply

CelestialHawk

CelestialHawk

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am trying to help my sister-in-law who has recently developed this problem. Everything she prints shows all the HTML on the printed page. I found something about this problem when someone recently removed AOL, and she did. I also found a microsoft KB article (http://support.micro...kb/175322/en-us) which didn't work because there was no TMP file extension to delete. I even added it and then deleted. No help. I looked at printer (an HP) settings and didn't see anything there. I am totally baffled. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks for any help...

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure, but it might help if you would list the steps she is taking before and up to clicking print. May be some differences in printing text or web page from browser's File menu as opposed to printing from Word, Excel, etc., or whatever program she is using.

Ron

CelestialHawk

CelestialHawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I connected to her remotely to try and help her, so what I did was opened her Comcast email (via internet explorer), opened an email I had sent her and clicked on the ID print icon, then at the print dialog window I again clicked print. It sent it to the printer and when printed out it showed all the HTML code you normally don't see.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Wow, am I late getting back to you on this. My apologies. I was hoping I would have my printer cable and printer set up by now, but no go.

I'm guessing that you may be printing from the email in HTML form and it is printing the email from the code side which, as you said, you don't normally see unless you look at the source code for the email. You could try changing the email to text only, then printing it or try highlighting the content of the email, then print. I know, if you print from a page online with the text highlighted, only the the text highlighted gets printed.

Ron

CelestialHawk

CelestialHawk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Don't worry about the delay in replying - I'm just happy for any suggestions on this. I will have her try changing format to text, however I had her try something from notepad and it too showed the HTML code, so I'm not sure what to expect. I may be awhile getting back to you since she is away for the holidays. Have a good holiday yourself! And thank you.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Opening an email received in HTML format in Notepad or other HTML Editor will always show you the html code. Highlighting the text you want printed before going to print usually makes the selection work for the text selected. If it didn't, highlighting text on a web page, then printing, would cause your printer to print out the complete html code for the page. Not what everyone wants.

Ron