Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I connect 2 safecom SWBAR-5400s ?

• Please log in to reply

ngwagwa

ngwagwa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have two SWBAR-5400 units and want to use them to create a small home network with two subnets by connecting the routers together with a crossover cable between the WAN ports.

The LAN side of the routers have been set as 192.9.200.254 and 192.9.201.254

The WAN ports have been set as 192.9.202.253 and 192.9.202.254

The gateway on each router has been set to the ip address of the other routers WAN port.

All subnet masks are set at 255.255.255.0.

Computers on each LAN can see each other and they can ping the WAN port on both routers. The problem is that the computers cannot see those on the other LAN i.e. 192.9.200.1 cannot see 192.9.201.1

Can you please advise me what I need to do to get the LANs visible to each other. We are not using any of the routers to connect to the internet.

Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
As far as I know, connecting two routers on the same network (with or without internet access) can't be done with total success, but I stand corrected if anyone else can explain how it's done.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You set up a double router every time you connect a router to a modem. Most cable/dsl modems are routers. You have both set to different addresses. Run an ethernet cable from a switch port on router 1 to the WAN port on router 2 and allow the dhcp to control the LANs.