Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC restarts if i don't have fan on it

• Please log in to reply

BS_1

BS_1

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
hi, my computer recently has started to freeze and restart or just stop working
i have had problems before with dust in my pc, which cause the computer to act in the same way with the restarting
after cleaning the dust out i was able to keep the computer running fine.
now after this problem, i have cleaned the dust out and the computer still has problems
i am able to keep the computer on and running fine (but a bit laggier), when i have an external household fan blowing into my open tower
when i turn the fan off, the screen of my computer almost instantly glitches up and then soon after the computer will freeze.

here are some SpeedFan details for when my computer has an external fan on it

Comp Usage: 0-8%

Fan1: 1776RPM
Fan2: 0RPM
Temp1: 32C
Temp2: 49C
HD0: 34C
Temp1: 10C

i cant get speed fan details when my household fan is turned off becuase it freezes up

i took my pc into a cooler room downstairs, and it seems to work fine there
but i dont have internet access so gotta keep it upstairs in hotter zone. im getting into summer now so its only gonna get hotter.

any ideas on how to fix this problem?
thanks in advance

Fan1: 1776RPM
Fan2: 0RPM
Temp1: 32C
Temp2: 49C
HD0: 34C
Temp1: 10C

Advertisements

splinter500

splinter500

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Did you remove the cpu fan?

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
no the CPU fan is still in there, but im guessing its gotten weak over time. it still works and doesnt make any weird noises or anything

splinter500

splinter500

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I mean did you remove it and put it back on when you were taking out the dust?

Edited by splinter500, 16 November 2007 - 10:41 PM.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
no i didnt remove anytihng at all, i just cleaned out the dust with a vaccum and dusted as much off as i could.
i put the vaccuum right on the fan blades so that it got as much dust from inside as it could.
is there a chance that there is a lot more dust in the fan?
is it easy to remove and put back in?

splinter500

splinter500

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well the problem is that when you remove the heatsink(cpu fan) you have to replace the cooling gel, but I guess you did not remove it. I do not have any other suggestion, maybe another member could help you. Sorry

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
CAN ANYBODY ELSE HELP ME??
NO IDEA WHATS WRONG
UNLESS ITS JUST HEAT BUT THATS PRETTY STUPID
its like 32degrees in my house

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
A computer freezing could be caused by any number of things. The fact that it doesn't freeze when you blow an external fan on it is probably just a coincidence, being that an external fan would do little to nothing for the temperature of components.

Some reasons your computer might freeze:

1. Viruses/Malware. You could post a topic in our Malware Removal subforum to see if viruses or malware are responsible for your issues.
2. Corrupted system files and/or drivers. This is especially likely if your computer is older, since it probably has had an increased number of drivers installed on it, and bad ones (or ones that are fine by themselves, but conflict with specific others) can cause system instability. The best solution here is to reinstall your operating system.
3. Aging components. This is probably only applicable if your computer is 5+ years old. Most can last just fine for at least 10 years, but you might have been unlucky and gotten one with a shorter lifespan. If you've eliminated every other possibility, then it might be time for a new computer.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi BS_1...

Download and run SpeedFan on the machine. With the SpeedFan window open and the "Readings" tab selected, attach a screenshot of the SpeedFan window for us. If you can't do a screenshot, give us the temperatures it reports and the voltages from the lower left area.

It does sound like a heat problem. A hot video card, hot processor, or hot power supply will all cause this problem. A weak power supply can also give similar issues.

wannabe1

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
yes im pretty sure its not just a coicidence, seeing as everytime i turn the fan off, the computer freezes within 10seconds every time.

SpeedFan results below:

VCORE: 1.49V
+3.3V: 3.28V
+5V: 4.97V
+12V: 11.67V
-12V: -11.62V
-5V: 3.50V
+5VSB: 5.46V
VBAT: 3.07V

there is also a screen shot attached of this information and also
S.M.A.R.T information which other posts seemed to need shown as well? incase

Attached Thumbnails

• fan.JPG
  • smart.JPG

Edited by BS_1, 17 November 2007 - 03:20 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for the screenshots. I assume these were captured with the house fan running. How long will it run after you shut the house fan off?

I'd like another screenshot...this time, select the "Charts" tab. Temperatures should already be selected in the "Analyze" menu...if not, use the drop-down to select it...then select Temps 1 and 2 to monitor. Let it graph the temps for a few minutes...then, if you can, shut the house fan off for a little bit. Don't leave it off long enough to hang the machine or we'll lose the graph, but I want to see if the temperatures spike when the fan goes off. If you can, do this a couple of times over twenty minutes or so, then get me a screenshot of the SpeedFan window...charts tab selected.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
this time i was able to leave the fan off for about a minute and while, as you can see on the graph, the temperature increased by 2 Degrees for each time i turned the fan off, it didnt seem to have any effect on the computer

however its 1am now and a lot cooler than in the day where it might be 35degrees in this room so maybe thats the reason for the computer working without fan.
does this graph show and problems?

Attached Thumbnails

• fan_chart.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just the fact that the temperature rises when the fan is turned off may be an indication of a problem. Can you get me a graph during a warmer part of the day?

Also...you might pick up a can of compressed air and give the machine a good blowing out...being sure to give the cpu cooler and power supply a little extra attention. Try to keep any fans from over-spinning by holding them with the tip of your finger or a cotton swab. Over-spinning the fans can cause bearing damage.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
its 11:35am and really really hot, my pc isnt able to survive without the fan at all so i cant get you a chart to show the change but can at least show you how it responds to heat even with the fan
my pc has been through this heat 2 times befoer and has never really had this kind of problem, other than when the problem was dust before

i also just realised that when i tried to open Age of Empires 2 (OLD) it has an error and says "Could not initialise graphics card"
and when i scroll down on web pages or move windows around, they move in a wavey kind of way instead of smooth, as if they are MELTING as they move around the screen

Attached Thumbnails

• 11am_fan.JPG
  • fan_hot.JPG

Edited by BS_1, 17 November 2007 - 06:57 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like the video adapter is overheating, though I can't see in the screen caps which sensor is being hooked for Temp 2. When running SpeedFan on my machine, temps 2 and 3 are video (I run two cards in SLI).

Check to see that the fan on the video card (if there is one) is spinning and that the heat sink is clear of dust. Have you tried the can of compressed air as I suggested earlier?

An overheating video card or north bridge chipset can certainly cause the problems you describe and would be the component most likely to benefit from the outside cooling provided by the house fan.