Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cdfs.sys corrupted

• Please log in to reply

TedB

TedB

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just a quick hello from the Hood Canal (Between Silverdale/Seabeck.) 35+ years @ SIUC... I'm pretty much up a tree with something I must have done (deleted in Windows XP Home Edition.) I've (fingers crossed still) zero problems since the late 1980s with hardware, etc. But then I always had staff support at an arms distance in the Department/from students. Out here no such luck.

Anyway it's been raining off and on (maybe 1.5 inches so far) got the dahlias dug/garlic planted/dogs walked..have a bit of time to chase this thing...

Since September I've been having to do a F8 startup/use "last good config." For some reason my "system restore" only goes back a couple of days. A year ago I could scroll back several months. A couple of weeks back I noticed that my two CD/DVD drives don't appear on "My Computer..."

Yesterday I decided to download the Microsoft/Windows XP 6 disk start-up pack/reboot from A drive. This evening I got to Disk #5 and got a "cdfg.sys is corrupted" message.

If anyone out there has a bit of time to spare I'd appreciate any help. I guess I can always go down to Staples (Silverdale) and let them see what's up/hopefully fix things. However I'd like to sort things out myself/make notes for next time...

Forgot to mention that I don't have the XP2000 installation disks. XP2000 HE was installed (when I purchased the computer using a master disk in Carbondale @ university.

Take care/regards to all...

Ted Buila

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I can't imagine how you think those six floppy disks will do you any good, TedB. They are to be used in conjuction with a Microsoft Windows XP installation CD which you say you don't have. The floppy discs are to be used where the system is not capable of booting from the CD drive, so you can install from the XP CD without booting from it.

However, with regard to your particular error --- this can occur if you created the floppies using disks which have been used previously and you used the "quick format" option to wipe them, rather than doing a "full format".

TedB

TedB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks pip22 for the turn around...

After posting my message I rummaged through the disks that came with the computer...found a Reinstallation CD for XP Home Edition + service pack 1a. Also a Dell Dimension Resource CD containing device drivers, diagnostics & utilities, and computer documentation. Fair enough..one Q: How can I 'use' either of the disks if my computer will not recognize either of the drives D: & E: (yet the they open/shut)?

The 3.5 in/1.44 MB diskettes I used were 'fresh' from the box are/were labeled IBM formatted. I purchased them earlier in the afternoon @ Staples.

One other thought. Six so so months back (maybe longer) I want to remember that I had a Netscape 'problem' (I continue to use Netscape 7.2 for my browser.) The 'fix' had something to do with Java & Microsoft security updates...I was able to resolve the issue with a disable.

Also, (1) my computer seems to have both wiped out/will not keep system restore for more than 3 or 4 days -- once I had a couple of months of options/date points; (2) I purchased (2 days back)/have used RegCure hoping to resolve my problem if it is registry related; (3) doing a cdfs.sys My Computer search I found:

CDFS.SYS C:\I386 (12.19.2003)
cdfs.sys C:\WINDOWS\service pack...Uninstall (9.04.2004)
cdfs.sys C:\WINDOWS\servicepackfiles\i386 (8.03.2004)
cdfs.sys C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS (8.22.2002)

Again thanks for your concer/time...I'm still in a "what to do mode"

Regards, TedB

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can adjust the volume in the disk dedicated to system restore. More volume=more restore points. Go to Control panel > system > system restore > settings. You can move the slider to increase restore points volume up to 12% of the disk.

Regrding the missing drives:

1: Make sure that the cable that connects them is well secured to the motherboard and drives.
2: Both drives should be jumpered as Cable Select or, another option, to jumer the drive that is connectied to the end of the cable as Master and the other one as Slave.
3: If still no good use the link in my signature below, download and install CDGONE patch.