Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy Note R1004 LapTop - Fails to see RAM Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Foxman318

Foxman318

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Scanned my LapTop using crucial website scanning facility.

Purchased recommended 512RAM Stick.

Installed 512RAM Stick (1GB total).

Booted computer - System properties show only 448MB. BIOS still shows about 512MB of physical memory.

I installed the new RAM Stick in both the RAM slots to confirm serviceability of both the new RAM and the slots. All was ok but the system still showed 448MB.

I am assuming the BIOS automatically recognises a RAM upgrade.

Any help in this matter is very much appreciated.

Fox.....

PS....Info below is not my LapTop spec :)

Edited by Foxman318, 17 November 2007 - 08:14 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try the new ram module on it's own with the original one removed, as it could be one module is not compatible with the other for obscure reasons (even sometimes because it's a different brand -- it does happen -- happened to me twice).

If new ram works on it's own, you'll have to do what I did and buy another one from crucial exactly same part number while they have them.

If new ram doesn't work on it's own either, it could be a faulty stick -- and that happens frequently too. Crucial should exchange it without argument if that's the case.

Foxman318

Foxman318

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi pip22
Yes the new RAM is a different brand and yes it does work by itself, in both slots. Its a bit of a mystery.

Fox..

Edited by Foxman318, 17 November 2007 - 11:07 AM.