Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Hard Drive in New Computer

• Please log in to reply

degenerex

degenerex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone, this is my first post, thanks for having me!

Ok here is the situation. Last week, my motherboard fried and I was forced to buy a new computer to keep the family happy. My old hard drive is still in tact, so I figured I would just pop it into the new pc and have access to all of my files. I opened up the case to my new computer and found that (now I'm not too hardware savvy, so I may soon sound like an idiot) there is no available IDE connection on the motherboard besides one for a non existent floppy drive. Also, the hard drive that came with my new pc is a SATA and my old hard drive is a ATA. The power cords seem to be some sort of skinny black wire and not the old 4 prong kind either. Any ideas? do they make converters? Thanks in advance!

The new computer is a Gateway, model number GT5620 and my old hard drive is a Western Digital WD800.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There should be one IDE (ATA) port. If you have a DVD or other optical drives then you must have an old type port. Each IDE port can handle two devices so you can connect your old HD as the second device.