Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

half good hard drive

• Please log in to reply

justenhansen

justenhansen

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
While I was just reinstalling XP on this computer, the formatting would get stuck at 62%. I tried it three times. Finally I did the quick format just to get through it. Now when I perform chkdsk it gets stuck at step 5 (examining free space) at 58%. I figure those two points are probably the same spot on the hard drive. But the computer is up and running fine right now. What would you guys do? I installed Mirskiy Hard Drive Test Pilot and it didn't find anything wrong.

Would you guys just get a new drive or try to find out what wrong with this one?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I'd back up all my files and get a new drive. Drive diagnostic software is not wholly reliable in it's findings -- repeated glitches with error checking, defragmenting and formatting are far more reliable indicators of a disk's health. Once a disk starts giving me similar errors repeatedly I immediately replace it. Losing my data is not a concern because I keep backups in two other locations, but if you don't have backups I would make them now while you can, then dispose of the disk securely.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I agree with pip22. It is better to change you drive. No one can say how long would it work till copletely crash if there are some signs of bad work. Back up your data ans create an image of os still drive works well. For backing up your data you can use special software free or not, e.g. Acronis True Image.

justenhansen

justenhansen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks guys. I've eaten so many hard drives. I'm getting sick of it. That's just the way it goes I guess.