Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I set up a server?

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi all!

I was just wondering how can I turn my Linux machine into a server? I have a lot of pics and I made a webpage that I want to make available to everyone so that they can see my pics as well. I copied the files to my public_html and I have a root index.html file that leads to other pages but I can't seem to be able to run localhost to test it. Anyone know why? Also I am noobie with Linux so none of those tutorials on Google helped. When I type in my address it leads to my routers page, which is very weird. Even in windows when I tried to set up Apache server I had everything running with localhost but as soon as I entered my IP I was redirected to my router's page. I know that there are websites that I can upload my pics to and then make a website there but i have a lot of pics and I can't do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Soorena

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
go into your router's configuration and set up port forwarding. you need to forward port 80 on your external IP to port 80 on your linux box. also, make sure your ISP allows you to run a server. they might have blocked port 80. mine does.