Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting from external IDE HDD via USB

• Please log in to reply

Triple_uk

Triple_uk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi

OK I recently had to replace my old HD for my laptop because I beleive it had become currupt. Any way I wanted to try and boot it up via an ide usb wire thing I just got. I had a look at the bios on my computer to see if there was a booting option for it but no joy! Can anyone give me a few pointers?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If there's no option for it in the BIOS the only fix is to update the BIOS but you need to be sure the update includes that option, and you need to ask yourself if that's really what you want, because applying a BIOS update can (and often does) go wrong, leaving you with a non-working computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

OK I recently had to replace my old HD for my laptop because I beleive it had become currupt. Any way I wanted to try and boot it up via an ide usb wire thing I just got. I had a look at the bios on my computer to see if there was a booting option for it but no joy! Can anyone give me a few pointers?

what are you wanting to do?....are you just wanting to recover data? if you've already replaced the HD with a working one...i'd assume that it's already got windows installed on it by now and you're using it as the primary drive

if all y ou want is to get the data back off the drive...then you don't need to boot to it...you just have to use that fancy USB enclosure that you've got to connect the drive to your computer then if all goes well (i.e the drive still works and you've got it conencted right) it should show up in windows as a second hard drive (just like a usb flash drive)