Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what if?

• Please log in to reply

chancy4342

chancy4342

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
If you bought a pre built computer from dell or any other big name PC retailor could you still overclock the cpu?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Nope, the BIOS is locked in a number of ways to prevent this. Also, you'd have value RAM preventing you from pushing your CPU very hard.
James

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
what if i bought a prebuilt PC from dell, could i upgrade the CPU and then overclock it?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The motherboard will prevent you from doing any overclocking.
James

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
so i would have to buy a new mobo and cpu then i could do it?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You should be able to use the old CPU, but buy doing this, it's defeating the purpose of buying a prebuilt. Buying all the individual parts which would be cheaper in the long run.
James

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All branded computers deliberately remove all or most access to over clocking features. These generate a lot of support calls from people who like to "fiddle" to put it bluntly and get it into a state where it doesn't even POST anymore because the side bus is too high or the memory speed is too fast or whatever. And they never admit they screwed up either! (no offence to the original poster, not insinuating anything)

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
the only reason i was thinking about getting a retail PC is because since Intel is releasing its new proccessors and ddr3 memory is comming soon i was gona upgrade later.and another question i wont have to re intall vista once i get a new mobo right since its on the hard drive

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

and another question i wont have to re intall vista once i get a new mobo right since its on the hard drive

You won't have to do a reformat but you will have to do a repair install.

Vista is implementing a new system regarding this. Everytime you change a componant in your system, such as the motherboard, it gives you a predetermined ammount of points. The example I saw was the a network card is three points. When you reach 12 points your OS will lock up and you would have to repair install or even call MS.

I recommend stopping this topic and stay in the other that you have in the same forum ATM. They are closely related topics with basically the same people helping...