Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW RAM STICK UPGRADE FAILURE 1GB NEW

• Please log in to reply

koaheart

koaheart

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The current in use stick is a kingston KVR400X64C3A / 512. I bought and tried to install a KVR400/1GR 1GB.
I spoke with a Kingston Rep, gave him the part number and he said it should work unless it's a. bad ram or b. a bad slot on my mainboard. I know it's tricky to get my old ram in the slot, plus my old ram won't work in the open slot so I think I've narrowed it down to "either or" The "R" simply stands for retail sale of the stick so he said. Can anyone add to my diagnostic's?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Have you tried your new stick by itself?

If your old stick works in one slot but not the other than there is a good chance that the slot on the MOBO is in fact bad. It is not common but I actually have a blown slot on the PC I am typing this with.

koaheart

koaheart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Have you tried your new stick by itself?

If your old stick works in one slot but not the other than there is a good chance that the slot on the MOBO is in fact bad. It is not common but I actually have a blown slot on the PC I am typing this with.

Yes, I worked on it again yesterday. For some weird reason this is what happened. I removed the known to work 512 and put in the 1gb, walla it werked! Then I tried the 512 in the other slot....nothing, pulled the 512....nothing...What the... :) so after a few choice words a brief prayer and 7 tries I got the 1gb stick to comeback online for me. So, I guess I have a bad slot (was never used so basically a VIRGIN gone bad) :) and one slot going bad. I think it's time for a new board. I got the ram on sale for $64, 1/2 price. As soon as someone can give me insight on a really good video card (thinking Radeon, I will redo my PC. Thank you for the help also btw. Happy Thanksgiving :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Glad I could help :).

When the time comes to redo your PC feel free to drop by our system building and upgrading forums.