Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dumb about DVD....

• Please log in to reply

adqjohn

adqjohn

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I guess this is a well worked-over question, but I can not find a
reasonable answer in the archive.
I am faced with a 3 yr old DVD-CD/RW Drive that will still run an OEM install disc
and install the software, but it will no longer read or write to an ordinary CD.
It will not play DVD's or music CD's either. A blank CD shows up as full in
"Properties". Device Manager shows it working properly with up to date driver.

Yes, I need to buy a new lens cleaner, but why does it run an software install disc and do
nothing else?
What do you think?
Thanks for the thots.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This is because the drive uses different lasers for different functions. Three years is about the lifespan on these drives. You can attempt to clean it if you would like but it is probably more hassle then it is worth. Replace the drive.

adqjohn

adqjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Titan,

I kinda figured the DVD laser was dead, but I was stumped as to why the CD would read the factory discs and do nothing else. I guess that laser is just in the "dying mode". Anyways, I have ordered a new drive.

Thanx for the info.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Glad I could help :).