Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hissing noises in Windows xp...

• Please log in to reply

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi there, ever since I installed Windows XP on this pc, I've been experiencing lots of hissing noises especially when playing games.

a) I've done a fresh reinstall of Windows but to no avail.

b) removed my sound card and switched to onboard sound, the hissing sound still remains. I actually used Drive Cleaner to do a clean wipe of the drivers.

c) And I've already tried another pair of speakers(some really old set) but the hissing sound is still there.

d) I've also performed several Directx tests but my sound card passed all of them.

e) Used the newest Audigy drivers on previous XP install. Now using older drivers which came with my cd.

f) Currently using DNA-Force 3.6.9424x32 Nvidia drivers.

g) Ran Creative Speaker Calibration Test. Uh oh: the hissing sound is there when I chose the Basic test and started the first part: the one where you hear water flowing!

h) Set Hardware acceleration to None and Sample Rate Conversion Quality to Good. Ran Calibration test again. Hissing sound still there.

i) Just ran Creative Diagnostics. Everything passed the test.

Here're my specs:

Motherboard: Esys 945GC-X
PSU : ST520-PAF
Hard disks: WD1600JB, WD800JB and Maxtor STM380215AS
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7300 GT
Sound card: Creative Audigy 2 ZS Value
Speakers: ATP3

Edited by Chicken mania, 18 November 2007 - 07:36 PM.

Advertisements

fstech

fstech

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
are you listening to speakers/headphones plugged into the front of the machine? I've had some problems with hissing because the cable going from where ever it plugged in to the jacks was recieving interferience from the machine.

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

are you listening to speakers/headphones plugged into the front of the machine? I've had some problems with hissing because the cable going from where ever it plugged in to the jacks was recieving interferience from the machine.

Nope. I'm using the ports from the sound card. I doubt I could use the ports in front of the computer since they're very likely wired up to the onboard sound which has been disabled.

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hmmm... I'm going to install Windows Media Player 11. Doing so might update my audio codecs.