Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I make a server with WAMP5?

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok so I put linux aside because it was so hard to figure out things and I installed WAMP5 and made My Documents\My Website my root directory and now when I type in localhost my website works. But when I type in my external IP address it redirects me to my router's setup page. I have created a domain name on DynDNS and now I'm so confused. How can other people view my website? Any help would be appreciated.

Soorena

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When you type your IP address from your computer the router knows its you. Most routers behave in this fashion because they're effectively just doubling-back on themselves traffic-wise.
When anybody else goes it, they won't see your router setup page, they should see your site.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Wow this section of the forum moves fast! I didn't notice you replied. Anyways I tried telling my friend to type my external IP and he said that nothing happens and it just says page not found. I still however am not sure how to link my DynDNS name with my address so that people can type my domain instead. Do you know of a guide that can teach me this? Because I still haven't succeeded in finding one.

Thanks

Soorena

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Proper domains don't work in this fashion.
If you want somebody to type (for example) Soorena.com and get to your server, it doesn't work like that. You have to use one of the ones that DynDNS have available.
Anyway the guide explains all on the other bits: http://www.dyndns.co...ndns/howto.html

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...your external address (and subsequently your dyndns address) will be pointing to your modem (then the modem hands that to your router) but your router isn't hosting a web page...your computer is....you have to enable NAT or Port Forwarding to have your router pass the traffic on correctly to your PC

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
WOW thanks for all that. I read the guide but I sorta got lost. Ok dsenette I read somewhere about what you are saying it was for bit torrenting which I'm not interested in, but however I am interested in forwarding it to my computer, here is a screenshot of my routers port thingy:

Posted Image

Sorry if its too big. Can you guys tell me what to type in and what else to do?

Thanks

Soorena

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...in that you'd want to click the enable box

then put a name in for the rule (use WAMP5 if you want)

then for the Private IP you'd need to put in the IP of the computer running WAMP5 (subsequently y ou might want to assign a static IP to that machine as well)

for protocol leave it as TCP, then for both the private and public ports choose 80

leave the schedule at always....

what this will do is force all trafic on port 80 (standard web traffic) to go directly to your WAMP server

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I did all you said but when I press ok it says that I can't enter the current IP address. Can't I use the computer that has the router attached as a server? Also I tried making a static IP address but I couldn't because the DNS I enter is apparently wrong and I just gave up after a little while.

Soorena

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hello?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok bump again, lol. This forum moves so fast!!

Soorena