Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio suddenly stopped working

• Please log in to reply

Nates

Nates

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I just woke up my laptop (Windows XP SP2) after a short flight and my USB mouse wouldn't respond. It wasn't that unusual, so I rebooted the computer but it still wouldn't work. After some fiddling (physically, or perhaps it was coincidence), it started working again. However, I tried to load up iTunes but it said something about how the audio devices aren't working properly. I checked the drivers in the Device Manager, and everything seems to be fine. But trying to load up the volume settings I got the following message: There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel...

The audio worked perfectly fine before the reboot. Something to note is that recently (a few days ago), AVG detected and quarantined the following: Packed.Morphine.c found in ipv6mons.dll.vir. I have since did the following:

1. Rerun AVG and nothing turned up.
2. Installed AVG Anti-Spyware, and it found a bunch of medium risk cookies, but also Not-A-Virus.Exploit.Java.Gimsh.a and Downloader.Agent.hq which I had quarantined.

I have NOT rebooted since this problem started. I am really worried about will happen since I am currently on a business trip. I really cannot afford to lose my computer right now. Anyone have any suggestions? Does this sound like the symptoms of a virus? As I am typing this, I am trying to download Panda ActiveScan.

Thanks!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link, post no. 8. I have never tried this procedure but I would like to simplify few things, assuming I understansd correctly this not-so-clear post. The file you have to look for is machine located in c:\windows\inf. This is a text file which you have to copy and paste to a temporary folder. While there, go to line 20 or so and look to the line mentioned in post 8. Remove the line from the copy in temp folder (not from the source) and save the change. Now continue with the procedure.

It also seems that you have malware infections that need to be taken care off. please post your topic in the malware forum (a link in my list of programs below). Take all the preliminary steps. After the experts from the malware forum confirm that the computer is clean, and if the problem persists, post back in this forum. It might take some time because they are quite busy there.

Edited by The Skeptic, 20 November 2007 - 01:08 PM.