Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer re-boots after startup...

• Please log in to reply

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ello everyone, I have yet another problem with a computer of mine...

I used to bag groceries at Kroger. Well, I was helping this elderly lady outside one day and noticed she had a Compaq Presario M2000 in her car. I was trying to find a way to make small talk with her, so I mentioned the computer. She said it was fried, that the guys back at the computer shop she was going to said it would cost well over 300$ to fix. I looked at it and then shook my head, asking a little more about it. She said that Windows XP didn't boot up all the way. I told her that I could probably fix it, and she said I could have it (the computer) if I could. I took it home and, after a few tests, decided that the owner had deleted several critical files, I think I posted it here too. Well, after re-installing almost everything that needed to be re-installed, the computer boots up, hangs for a moment, BSOD pops up saying the computer needs to shut down, and when it comes back up, (if it doesn't do it again), it says "The System has recovered from a Serious Error".

The way I prevent this is simple: When I boot up, I quickly press ctrl+alt+del and shut down the commands "SaveDump" and "DumpPrep". This is getting annoying, can I get some help please?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link, especially at the lower part, titled Workaround.

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm running SP2, also, when I tried the workaround technique, nothing worked nor booted up, so I was forced to re-start in 'safe mode' and reset my memory to 333.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried installing the patch mentioned in the same link? Here is a direct link to the patch.

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Have you tried installing the patch mentioned in the same link? Here is a direct link to the patch.

Yes, but it's saying I'd have to install it on a machine with no service packs being I'm using SP2.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried repair installation of XP? If you wish to do it there is a link in my signature.

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Im working on that right now, and will have the results in a little while. ^_^ Thanks for all the help, guys! *hugs*

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It worked! ^_^!!! Thank you all!

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Gah, when I think I have it fixed, it messes up again.

Should I just go, format the drive then re-install windows?

Storm2k5

Storm2k5

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Kahami Wolfbane, I would recomend you reformated it anyway.