Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Small but BIG problem..

• Please log in to reply

ooshie

ooshie

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am reformatting my computer. It ask's for the admin. password, but my password won't work. I've tried making a new password, and I have also tried to shut the password feature off all together. It's a no go.
That's it, as you can see...Small but BIG problem.
Any ideas? :)

Edited by ooshie, 20 November 2007 - 05:28 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the admin password it's asking about is the password that was used when the machine was first set up....if you have XP home it might be blank (even with XP pro it might be blank though documentation claims it's not possible....however i've seen it with my own eyes)....try leaving the password blank...if not you'll have to get in touch with the person who set the computer up and see if they know the admin password that was used during setup....

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
That makes sence. Thanks alot.

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok, that worked, but now I'm having another problem. After logging I was told to do the fallowing:

1) Type "map" (which worked)
2) Type "format c:/fs:ntfs" (told me it was an invalid command(and yes my computer is NTFS, I checked))
3) Type "y" (couldn't get this far)
4) TYpe "exit" (couldn't get this far)
5) Hit enter to restart computer
6) Let windows load all drivers and choose option #1 (clean install)

The problem is that second step, but I've been having so many problems between making a backup DVD, and doing this reformat (because of the way my PC is acting up) I would like to know if any of the other steps are wrong to? This is driving me crazy, I've been at this for 3 days now... :) I got this info from a website. So I went to another website and it gave me a complete different set of directions.

:)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....what are you actually trying to do? just wipe the machine and start over?

the command that you mentioned "format c:/fs:ntfs" (i assume you're not typing the quotes) won't work....it would need to be "format c: /fs:ntfs" (notice the space between C: and /ntfs)

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yes, I'm trying to wipe it out and start over. Didn't know I needed the space. I'll try that.
And no, I'm not using the quotes. lol
Thanks alot.

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
this is the most annoying day of my life. I got the reformat all done. Windows restarted and went through the "let us help set up windows" crap. Did that. Now I'm at the windows logon screen where it asks for a password. I never MADE A PASSWORD! I tried every pasword I've ever used in my life, I've tried no password, and no go. How the [bleep] do I get around this? I'm going insane...
Sorry for keeping on bugging you guys..

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
please help. I can only use this laptop for a limited time. any suggestions would help!

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
the error box sez:

The system cannot log you on do to the following error:
The specific domain either does not exist or could not be contacted
please try again or consult your system admin.

GRRRR.. :)

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
some one....anyone?

Advertisements

Kahami Wolfbane

Kahami Wolfbane

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
ooshe, please be paitent and don't bump your threads, otherwise the admins won't know if you still need help.

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
sorry, I just need help quikly. I have things I need to do on this computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...so you actually formatted the drive and reinstalled windows? during the setup process it asks for an administrator password (and for you to create an account to log on with).....did you not do that?

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
it asked me to make an account...not a password. thats why im so onfused.

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
and if i did make a password and just forgot, i know what i would have made it. I'v tried every password I have ever used in my life.