Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS

• Please log in to reply

barnie1528

barnie1528

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
If you guys know the definitive answer to this one, then I will be well impressed!!!! :)

> Skills: Competent with everyday tasks
> Operating system: Windows XP
> Processor: AMD Athlon
> Memory: 512MB
> Internet connection: Broadband
> Motherboard Asus : A7A266-E (ALiMaGik 1 Chipset).
> BIOS version 1010

I bought some new DDR PC2100 memory to replace the two DDR 256mb that were installed on my MESH computer. Only the 512mb was recognised, the 1024mb was not.

The information I received with the memory suggested that the BIOS may need updating. After much reading I downloaded the Asus Update utility from the web. I then tried to update the BIOS from the web, but was unable to do so.

I then downloaded and saved BIOS version 1013 to my desktop and using the update utility, tried to update the BIOS using this file. It deleted the BIOS, flashed the file, but then in the bottom section failed to authenticate it after only 3%. I tried the same procedure with version 1012 and the same thing happened. I did save the BIOS settings prior to doing this using the update utility, but didn't burn them to a CD. You guessed it, I didn't try to flash the old BIOS back so i can only conclude that now my PC has no BIOS.

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer from trawling the web, including the ASUS forums. When I switch the computer on, I now get 3 bleeps, but nothing displays on the monitor. Pressing the delete button doesn't do anything.

If I had saved the original BIOS settings to CD, I don't think that would have made any difference as I cannot get into BIOS to boot from that drive. If I could then I could download same on my other computer onto CD.

I readily admit that my inexperience, has been my downfall.

Could you tell me just what my options are? Am I really going to have to consider a new motherboard for a computer nearly 6yrs old with a value of only a few pounds?

I apologise for taking up your time.

Kind Regards

Barnie

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

There's a good chance that you will be looking at a new motherboard I'm afraid but there is one thing you can try first:

1. First of all, it helps if you know whether your board has an AMI bios or Award bios. If you don't know, try looking for the bios chip on the motherboard - it should have the name printed on it. Also, the bios file itself should be a clue. If it ends with the ROM extension, then it's an AMI bios. If it's a BIN extension, then it's an Award bios.

2. For an Award bios, (using a working computer obviously), you need to make sure you have a bootable floppy disk, like the one you've been using to update the bios with. (You can use the same floppy if you like providing that you back up the contents first & check that the floppy has no errors). It must be a basic system boot disk, i.e containing nothing other than msdos.sys, io.sys & command.com (note that both io.sys & msdos.sys are hidden files).

3. Make a note of the name of the flash utility you have been using (eg awdflash.exe) & make a note of the name of the backed up copy of the bios file (eg biosbak.bin). If you don't have the backed up bios file then you'll have to use one you've downloaded but make sure it's the correct one!

4. You then need to either open the DOS text editor (edit command) or use notepad in windows. Create a blank file & type on the first line:

awdflash biosbak.bin

Then save the file to the floppy as autoexec.bat

NB If your flash utility is not called awdflash then change the name you type accordingly. Likewise with the bios file name.

5. You also need to place a copy of the bios file on to the floppy disk & a copy of the flash utility.

6. Place the floppy in the A7A266-E computer & power it on. You won't be able to see anything on screen but hopefully there will be floppy activity. Make sure you wait long enough for process to complete before rebooting. If it doesn't appear to have worked, then you may need to press whatever key(s) you pressed when you first tried flashing it. (eg if the utility asks you to press 'Y' to confirm the update, then you may need to do this so try again by rebooting from the floppy, wait til the floppy drive LED goes out, then press the Y key).

If you have an AMI bios, the bios file should be a .ROM file. If so, then copy this file to the floppy & rename it amiboot.rom. Place the floppy in the computer & power it on. I don't think you need to make the floppy bootable in this instance but you should still see floppy activity after powering on. Wait a few minutes until you hear some beeps. If you hear the beeps, it means the transfer is complete & you can remove the floppy & reboot.

barnie1528

barnie1528

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Samm,

Many thanks for your help and advice that you took to provide.

In the end it was all too much for me and I sent the Award chip to the Netherlands (www.flashbios.org) and for under €12 got it reflashed. I have today reinstalled it and after clearing the CMOS and selecting a CPU speed, the computer fired up again like an old friend. I would recommend this service for anyone that has been as silly as me.

Regards

barnie

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Many thanks for the recommendation barnie - I've actually got an old epox board with a duff bios which I would love to get up and running, so I'll definately be checking them out! :)