Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound from Internet

• Please log in to reply

sharonmerz

sharonmerz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hiya everyone! I am having some issues with the sound on my computer. If I open musicmatch or itunes I can play files and I hear sound. I can hear all of the system sounds, sounds in games and on some websites like pogo. If I go into myspace, cmt, sony musicbox, youtube or any site like that, I have no sound. I fixed it one time but I can not remember how I did it. Thanks in advance!

Sharon

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quoted from here:

Yay I fixed it thanks for the suggestions.

here is how it was a posting on an adobe fourm I found about 6 pages deep on the google search for no sound from youtube:

Alright the problem is really the mapping of wavemapper in Windows registry as reported by one member of the forum. All you need to do is to open registry editor by going to Start menu, Run, typing regedit and then Enter. After that, in the registry editor, walk yourself through the tree in the left pane, till you reach

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

And then on the right pane, right click and click on New, select String value, enter "wavemapper" (without quots of course), ENTER, type "msacm32.drv", ENTER.

Close the editor. No need to restart. Video on Google and YouTube et al would work fine now.

Thanks to the member who pointed out the key. I just mentioned the procedure.

sharonmerz

sharonmerz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Wavemapper and msacm32.drv are already there.

Edited by sharonmerz, 20 November 2007 - 07:47 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
This is directly from youtube.

sharonmerz

sharonmerz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks, I went to the link and tried everything but it still won't work. :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What media player are you using? Try to look in one of the menus to what files are being supported by the player and enable all of them.

sharonmerz

sharonmerz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks everyone for your help. I got irritated with the situation and I just decided to finally upgrade my computer to Vista. That got rid of the problem. :)

vipper82

vipper82

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
i have the same problem of no sound on any internet sites, yet have them on games, media player itunes?? i have tried all of the above and still not working, any other suggestions to what i can do? This all seemed to happen when i upgraded my mozilla and avg, which i have unistalled still not working, and re-installed!! i have been at this for 2 days now, any help will be very welcome!! Thanks!

Netease

Netease

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks a lot I have been trying to fix this problem for months looked at other Forums with no luck Uninstalled many programes. THIS WORKED STRAIGHT AWAY
:)

Quoted from here:

here is how it was a posting on an adobe fourm I found about 6 pages deep on the google search for no sound from youtube:

Alright the problem is really the mapping of wavemapper in Windows registry as reported by one member of the forum. All you need to do is to open registry editor by going to Start menu, Run, typing regedit and then Enter. After that, in the registry editor, walk yourself through the tree in the left pane, till you reach

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

And then on the right pane, right click and click on New, select String value, enter "wavemapper" (without quots of course), ENTER, type "msacm32.drv", ENTER.

Close the editor. No need to restart. Video on Google and YouTube et al would work fine now.

Edited by Netease, 04 February 2009 - 11:30 PM.

aikmansgirl

aikmansgirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! I am having this same problem. When i walk through the steps outlined above I get an error message when I click on String Value. It says: Cannot Creat Value:Error Writing to the Registry.

I recently removed a virus could this have anything to do with it! Any suggestions would be appreciated! I am so sick of trying to fix this!!!!!!!! :)

Advertisements

spplcs

spplcs

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am about at wits end here. I have the same problem, I have installed a new driver, I have tried K - Lite, I have tried the registry editing spoken of previously and I get:

"The registry editor cannot rename New Value #1. The specified value name already exists. Type another name and try again."

Also, when I go to my Control Panel > Sounds, Speech, and Audio > Sounds and Audio > Sounds Tab, the Sound Scheme is set to Windows Default, but at the bottom, there is an option to play the sound that is chosen, but it is greyed out an uninteractable. I just noticed this while reading this post and I have no idea if it is helpful knowledge or not.

There is no start up music when I restart my computer. It has been about 2 weeks now that I have been scouring the internet trying to fix this problem.

I appreciate any help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: spplcs

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

NearWestChicago

NearWestChicago

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been spending hours searching for a solution to "no sound on the internet". I tried the above registry edit and my sound is back. Thank you Geeks to Go!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for letting us know NearWestChicago that this worked for you. Congratulations for a successful resolution to your issue. Thanks for using GTG for your assistance and enjoy the other forums.

c32used

c32used

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Quoted from here:

I try this "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32" but can't find \driver32...what next?