Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade to Vista?

• Please log in to reply

sharonmerz

sharonmerz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi everyone! I bought a new computer in January and everything I chose said that it was recommended for vista since my computer came with a free express upgrade to vista home premium. I have waited to upgrade because I heard some not so lovely things about upgrading. I like to play games on my computer and I have invested a lot of money on The Sims 2, I have every EP and SP for that game. I know some people are running their games fine, but my luck I would not. :) I am trying to find an easy way to list my computer specs but that is not turning out to be an easy task! If anyone has suggestions on that, I would be greatful!

Thanks!!
Sharon

Advertisements

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Right click on my computer>properties/system properties - should display your current pc specs and your base rating with vista.

sharonmerz

sharonmerz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks, I had gotten there before but it won't let me copy and paste it. I guess I will just have to write it all down and add it to my post. Thanks!

sharonmerz

sharonmerz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ahhh I think this is the info I need to see if it is ready to upgrade... :)

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Dell Dimension DM061
Intel® Core™2 CPU
6300 @ 1.86GHz
1.86 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Is there anything else I need to be looking at?

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
yes,
-your hdd must have at least 15gb free space
-gfx card must have, WDDM driver, pixel shader 2.0, 128mb gfx ram, and support 32 bits per pixel

With windows media centre installed at the moment you can only upgrade to vista ultimate, if you wanted to install a different version you would have to buy a new retail disk and make a clean install

sharonmerz

sharonmerz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The disk that came with my computer for the express upgrade was Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to Windows Vista Home Premium Express Upgrade. That won't work?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Not sure where mazuk got his info but your upgrade cd will work. :)

Murray

sharonmerz

sharonmerz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks! I was worried. About to call Dell and freak out on them. :)

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ha, i got that information from a vista exam book, said you can only upgrade media centre to ultimate...well im sure it did....:) SORRY SHARONMEZ!

sharonmerz

sharonmerz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for your help... it wouldn't let me just upgrade, I had to do a clean install... not fun because I have to now reinstall all of my other stuff but that's ok. Take care everyone!