Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WHY DOES WINDOWS XP SAY MY CD DRIVE IS A HARDDRIVE?

• Please log in to reply

amorgan93

amorgan93

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Micron Client Pro older PC with Windows XP. When i turn on the computer the very first thing that happens is that the computer shows a black screen, beeps, then says "Drive A Error". I must hit F1 to continue. After it boots in XP and i go to "My Computer" there are 3 Harddrives unstead of just two and there is no CD Rom drive. When i click on the harddrive icon that i know is really the CD ROM the computer asks to format the drive. The CD Drive is connected seperately from the other harddrives. What is wrong and how do i fix it???

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Drive A error can be caused by lack of a floppy disk drive but the computer having been told one exists. Pop into BIOS and turn Drive A/Floppy Controller off.

As to three hard drives, its more likely that the hard drive is split into three partitions and these are shown in Windows as three separate devices. Lack of a CD-ROM can be caused by it not being told one exists in the BIOS, or a software issue.

amorgan93

amorgan93

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
before i plugged in the CD ROM drive the computer showed 2 seperate harddrives and that was all. After i plugged in the CD ROM drive it sowed three harddrives. The harddrives are not in partitions they are their complete size. And for the Drive a error, i disabled the floppy drive and rebooted but nothing. I also thought this would work but obviously it didnt.