Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my PC Graphic Card Upgradable?

• Please log in to reply

loni

loni

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
At the moment ive got a GeForce 6100 nForce 405 it cant the latest games especially the DX10 ones
My psu is only 250W which means i need to buy a Graphic Card + PSU but ive got a question
do i have to remove the nforce 405 the one ive got now ? or ..... im seriously stuck :)

Processor: AMD Ahtlon 64 Processor 3800+ MMX 3dNow 2.4GHZ
Memory: 2814MB RAM (Supposed to be 3GB but i dunno)

nVIDIA MCP61 PCE Express Root port (x16)
Motherboard ID: 09/22/2006-NF-MCP61-m2NS-NVM-00
Motherboard Name: Asus M2NS-NVM

http://support.packa...;ppn=PB82105101

Edited by loni, 20 November 2007 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi loni, welcome to Geeks to Go!

You can upgrade your computer no worries, when you install the new PSU and graphics card, you just enter the BIOS and disable the onboard video (6100 nForce). You just need to make sure you connect the monitor cable to the graphics card output :)

Have you chosen parts? What's your budget, because we can help :)

EDIT: And yes, you do have 3GB of RAM, it's just that the onboard video (6100 nForce) will be using (borrowing) some of the system RAM for graphics purposes. So when you install a separate card with its own RAM onboard (for example, a 320MB 8800GTS card), then your system RAM will be freed up as your graphics will be dealt with solely by the new card :)

Edited by troy, 20 November 2007 - 05:35 PM.

loni

loni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well luckily ive got a a spare 350W Power Supply so all i need is a graphic card my budget for a graphic card is £50 (To be honest i wouldnt mind a 6800GT or a 8500 etc what do you think i should get ? (Thanks for Reply)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have to admit, 350W still isn't very much, I wouldn't trust it in the machine with the new graphics card. What make/model is it? How many amps does it put out on the +12V rail(s)?

loni

loni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Tell me what you recommend from this site http://www.powersupp...kgroup=COMPUTER

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm not too sure about recommending any from that site, they don't supply much information. The Blue Storm 500W looked alright, as I believe FSP to be a reasonable manufacturer, but I cannot confirm this as I've never used them myself.

If your budget for a graphics card is around the 50 mark, and you want DX10, I would be looking for an ATI HD2600XT, it would be about your best bet. Be warned, though, that this card is not very good if you are a serious gamer, but for casual gaming it might get you by.