Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am gonna reformat my comp and i got some questions about partitions

• Please log in to reply

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I am about to reformat my computer. I have a couple of questions before I do this.

I was wondering if making one primary partition only for Windows and then making another partition for the rest of the space left for all my programs, games, etc. Would this make my computer run faster and speed up performance? I would think so because all the main files are in the primary partition... but i'm not exactly sure. could someone fill me in here and tell me if my computer would run faster if i did this?

quick replies for help would be much appreciated because i would like to start reformatting soon

Edited by MegaGeek49, 20 November 2007 - 03:29 PM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I did some searching around and found this site that tells you reasons why you should have multiple partitions
http://www.theelderg...d_drives_02.htm
I partition my drives so its quicker to defragment it (it will take forever to defrag a 250gb drive let alone a 500gb one).
It is also easier to manage your files, have a partition only for the system files and then all other personal files (word documents, music, pictures...) to another partition.
Partitioning also helps you if for some reason your operating system crashed to the point that you have to reinstall windows, you can save all the documents you have (that's not in system partition) because you'll be reinstalling windows only in the system partition. (not overwriting the other partition with your personal files)

If I didn't make much sense then just read that site I gave you :)

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 20 November 2007 - 03:46 PM.

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
thank you. that makes plenty of sense. i am now satisfied and i will make 2 partitions. thanks!!

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
You're welcome :)

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 20 November 2007 - 03:49 PM.

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
oh also. could you tell me how much space i would need for the windows files? how much space should i choose for partition for windows files?

Edited by MegaGeek49, 20 November 2007 - 03:49 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
How much space does your harddrive have?
I usually use between 30-40gb (depends on how much applications/program I install on my computer)

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
my hardrive is a 200gb hardrive. and im installing windows xp sp2 with 2 partitions. 1 for windows and other for games, etc. but how much file size should i put down for windows? i want to make it as minumum as possible

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
help no reply in a while. bump

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
30gb should be enough (just so that you can leave some room if you install new games because some games take about 1gb out of your harddrive)

you probably won't use up all that space for your system partition but its a good precaution just in case you need more in the future since extending the size of this is a bit harder.

Edited by kamille316, 20 November 2007 - 04:15 PM.

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
thanks again for the help. i found out that i only needed 1028mb for the windows files. it told me in the reformatting process while setting up partitions. but i made it 2000mb instead just to be on the safe side. and then the other partition is for games, etc. and if i ever need to change my partitions, ill just use partitionmagic.

thanks for the help!! problem solved

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
2gb is too small, I recommend at least 8-10gb if you really want it small

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Just a quick note here, but if you install your programs to the second partition, even if Windows crashes and you have to re-install, you will have to re-install all your programs as well as there will be nothing in the new registry to run them with.

You would be better off making your second partition around 50 or so GB unless you are big into graphics.

Murray

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
You say you have a 200gb harddrive?? So then do about 50gb for windows (allowing for updates and enough space to do what it has to do) and the 150gb for games as games and programs dont need more than 150 gb

But whatever you do leave enough for windows to opearate well and keep perfomance up

Hope this helps

SpuD

2gb is way to small!!!!!
man your gona have quite a few problems!

Edited by ==SpuD==, 01 December 2007 - 01:30 PM.