Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless laptop connects to the network but not to the Internet (2)

• Please log in to reply

Central

Central

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there

I have a D-Link wireless newtork with three PCs and a laptop connect. The PCs work fine but while the laptop connects to the network I can't access the Internet. I have 64 bit WEP encryption enabled. I've raised the connection chanel to 13.

Earlier advice suggested releasing the IP adress as follows :

Press Start menu --> click on "run"
--> type cmd
--> type ipconfig /release
--> type ipconfig /renew
and then check if you now have the right ip address
--> type ipconfig /all
You should be getting a 192.168.x.x IP address

However, when I run the /renew command I get the following error :

"Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing the interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Requested has timed out."

Any advice and assistance as to what the problem is would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Craig.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
My guess is that it can't "see" or connect to your router.
Can you confirm this by pinging your router.
--> type cmd
--> ping 192.168.0.1
I'm pretty sure that 192.168.0.1 is the IP address of your router, if not then just change it to the right one
The result should look something like this

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=xx time<xms TTL=xxx

(x = some number)

Can you also tell us which Dlink router you have?

EDIT:
You can also try rebooting your router, unplug the router for a few minutes and then plug it back in.
If that does not work, you can try reseting your router, set it up again and then try the above (rebooting router).

Edited by kamille316, 20 November 2007 - 04:07 PM.

tikyoo

tikyoo

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Hi there

I have a D-Link wireless newtork with three PCs and a laptop connect. The PCs work fine but while the laptop connects to the network I can't access the Internet. I have 64 bit WEP encryption enabled. I've raised the connection chanel to 13.

Earlier advice suggested releasing the IP adress as follows :

--> type cmd
--> type ipconfig /release
--> type ipconfig /renew
and then check if you now have the right ip address
--> type ipconfig /all
You should be getting a 192.168.x.x IP address

However, when I run the /renew command I get the following error :

"Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing the interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Requested has timed out."

Any advice and assistance as to what the problem is would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Craig.

U said that your ip start with 169. it means its wrong try to change your security passphrase. u have it wrong.

tikyoo

tikyoo

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
u have to follow all this instruction to set up your dhcp

Select Start > Settings > Network Connections.

Double-click the Local Area Connection icon to open the Local Area Connection Status window.

Click the Properties button to open the Local Area Connection Properties window.

In the upper portion of the Local Area Connection Properties window, confirm that there is a card name in the greyed out text box under the label "Connect using"--if there is not one listed, please see your Network Administrator.

Click to highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). If Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) isn't listed, please see your Network Administrator.

Click the Properties button to open the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window.

If you have not done so already, take a moment to copy down all your current settings for future ref

Posted Image
Select Obtain an IP address automatically.

Select Obtain DNS server address automatically.

Click OK to return to the Local Area Connection Properties window.

Click OK to return to the Network Connections window.

Edited by tikyoo, 20 November 2007 - 05:31 PM.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
It was mentioned in my post to try this program and it fixed my computer. Maybe it can help you with yours. Winsockxpfix

Jennifer