Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sent Here after Malware fix, to fix DVD-RW problem

• Please log in to reply

ksanmamaril

ksanmamaril

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi, I was sent here by Kahdah, who helped me get through my No Desktop problem, and was told to come here to ask for help for my DVD-RW and CD-ROM problems.

Well the problem is that none of these drives seem to be working. They show up on "My computer" but it fails to read or write and disc that i put in there. Everytime i try to read the disc by double clicking on the drive, it says No disc in drive.
Can someone help me with this problem? thanks

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello ksanmamaril,

Go to the device manager: Start | Run, type devmgmt.msc, and press Enter

Are there any devices that have a X or a (!)? This would usually be an indication that the computer recognizes the drive but has a problem.

Ax

ksanmamaril

ksanmamaril

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hey Ax,

I went to the device manager and saw no ! or X's next to the drives.
So what do you think i should do nexT?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
You can check to see if there are filters set on the drive. The following MS KB will show you how to check for and resolve this issue:
You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

Regards,

Ax