Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible DEP Problem? Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

Alive She Cried

Alive She Cried

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've just searched the Internet far and wide and have tried all the advice available - perhaps some of you guys couple help?

This happened out of the blue - I opened the folder containing some movie files and it abruptly closed itself, taking with it the taskbar and all of the icons on my desktop.

After a few seconds the taskbar and the desktop icons re-appeared, but the folder I was trying to open didn't.

I read on a different forum that if I set the view to List instead of Thumbnails, I'd at least manage to keep the folder open because it's likely to be a codec problem...but, after working for a few minutes, it started closing itself down regardless.

As the day went on, it got worse - now even the My Documents folder sometimes closes itself down as soon as it's opened, let alone the movie folders.

I've read about it being a possible "Date Execution Prevention [DEP]" problem...but still I have the same scenario, even having disabled the DEP setting in the boot.ini file.

I've tried system restore and I've tried cleaning out my temp folder too.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Your help would be really appreciated, as this means a lot for me right now.

Cheers,

Nina :)

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
try running sfc /scannow

What this will do is verify all your important windows files and replace them if they dont have the correct signature. you'll need your windows XP disc though.

Edited by Vaillant, 25 November 2007 - 10:28 AM.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I had a similar problem, not exactly the same as yours but very very similar.

What it would do was change all my icons to a "dos" window, so everything i clicked on opened up a dos window for 1 second then closed again. Kaspersky, AVG and all other anti viruses found almost my whole system to be infected, which i thought was a load of nonsense. It just got worse and worse and in the end I just re-installed windows. Now I have kaspersky anti virus on and everything is working ok. All be it about a week now :)
Sometimes the dos window would also say "Program to big to fit into memory"

Not sure if this is your problem but it's a mission to get it sorted out!

If this is not your problem I would move over to the malware forum, depending on where the movie file came from, it might well have been a virus or some sort of malware.

Edited by Adrenalin, 25 November 2007 - 11:11 AM.