Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox 3.0 Beta is out!

• Please log in to reply

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
The Firefox 3.0 beta is out, for developers only. Feel free to download it if you're not a developer, though :)

http://ftp.mozilla.o...-trunk/?C=M;O=D

Windows users want this:

http://ftp.mozilla.o...2.installer.exe

Edited by landlord, 21 November 2007 - 05:10 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Yeh, I've known about this for some time now, but if you use many FF extensions, you are going to be in for a surprise on how many don't work...like 90% of the dozens I have. It does grab your Profile from your original install of FF so your settings are close to what you're use to.

Ron

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Downloaded it a day or 2 ago...realized I had like no extensions...went back to 2.0...and now I am having problems where I can not set Firefox as default browser instead of IE. Anyone know of a possible solution? It is kind of annoying.

Edited by jackflash1991, 21 November 2007 - 10:54 PM.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Yup, my extensions didn't work in it either. But it's just a Beta, and I remember the Firefox 2.0 Beta to have this very same problem. I uninstalled it, because it wasn't compatible with my most favorite plug-in: Mouse Gesture, that allows me to go back and forwards, and do many more things with mouse gestures. I can't surf the internet without it :)

Anyway, it looks great and it has a new feature that allows you to save tabs without the need to crash your browser. Yes, I sometimes found myself crashing Firefox on purpose to make sure it saves the tabs for my next session :)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Ah. Well, you'll just have to wait for the official release to have your plugins working properly. I do have this wierd bug though. My Firefox has it's settings (for the browser and the add-ons) and bookmarks all deleted at random times. I've just taken note - I sometimes hold the Power button on my laptop to turn it off quickly. Could that be the cause? =X..

~Kelvin

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Of course, everyone knows the extensions will not work in the Beta version as the extension maker has not had time to redo their code to make their extension compatible.

I kept my original version of FF since the Beta installed in its own folder. Clicking the Icon for the old version brought up the window to make FF my default browser again so somewhere, if you don't get this and uninstalled Beta version, you got a messed up file probably. Within FF's Tools/Options there is a box to check/uncheck whether you want FF as your default browser and whether you want it to check whether it is every time it is open. IE also has the same options which needs to be unchecked.

Ron

Mark K

Mark K

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Other than the extensions problems, is it much different or better?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Here. Preview. It is 1280x800 though. Also, dont mind the black. Picture it in white. It's my custom theme. =)

http://i146.photobuc.../Untitled-1.jpg

~Kelvin

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
The Firefox 3.0 beta is out, for developers only. Feel free to download it if you're not a developer, though

That right there is enough for me that says stay away it has bugs and still needs work before its safe to use.

And based on some of the comments already made here I 'll wait till its out of Beat thank you very much :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Yes, the new beta takes over your current Firefox version. However, as soon as you uninstall it, Firefox 2.0 gets back to control.

Needless to say, Firefox 3.0 keeps all your favorites, bookmarks, history, cookies etc. Even the addresses entered in the address box are still there.

@don,

Yes, but I like to try out stuff before they come out :) (excluding operating systems). It doesn't have bugs, not that I've noticed. However, the lack of extension really makes it comparable to eating bread without anything on it, I'm not used to a browser without those addons.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Yes, the new beta takes over your current Firefox version. However, as soon as you uninstall it, Firefox 2.0 gets back to control.

I never uninstalled the Beta and had no problems getting FF 2 back as my default browser. It popped up a box like it's suppose to when I clicked FF 2's Icon and told me it wasn't the default browser and do I want it to be. Everyone should be getting this. Just having the Beta installed/uninstalled doesn't mean this action is going to be screwed up. If it is, then something else was done during the Beta install/uninstall.

Ron