Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet problem

• Please log in to reply

Dieselmanplayer

Dieselmanplayer

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay well I have no problem using internet for services such as FTP, AIM, and Firefox, etc. But some programs wont work.

One example is Opera. I always get a server not found. And microsoft updates which is very important right now because it wont update my brand new Zune!! It seems like alot of programs act as if i am not connected at all.

I was running through a router but now im directly connected. Any ideas for help?

in windows update i get error 0x80072efd if that helps.

Edited by Dieselmanplayer, 21 November 2007 - 07:02 PM.

Advertisements

Mark K

Mark K

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
This error could be a number of things

# A firewall on your computer or local network is interfering with your connection to the Windows Update site.

# The MTU setting on your router is too high/low.

# Proxy server settings are interfering with your connection to the Windows Update site.

# If you have Norton Internet Security 2003 installed it may be blocking access.

Can you access this download [url="http://"%20http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v4/iuident.cab ?

If you cant then its something to do with your connection (router/firewalls). If you can then it rules out ur connection.

Dieselmanplayer

Dieselmanplayer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks but I already fixed it.

I followed nearly every guide, had to sift through loads of stuff with my error code. I followed the steps you posted first.

Tried winsock, firewalls etc. I then repaired windows. then I did a search for the new error code i got here, and it came up with a solution. Something about stealth updates.

Thanks though