Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SLI-Ready Motherboards in the $200-250 range

• Please log in to reply

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
If you had $200-250 to spend on a motherboard, which one would you buy? It must be ATX, Socket 775, SLI-Ready. The processor going into it will be a Pentium D820.

Please use tigerdirect or NCIX with links, I cannot order from Newegg :)

I was thinking about this one: http://www.ncix.com/...u...2&promoid=0

Edited by gambLe1109, 22 November 2007 - 01:30 AM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I would get this one. In fact, I did get that one, and I love it. :)

But just so you know, using SLI with a Pentium D would be pretty pointless, as the CPU would bottleneck even just one video card severely.

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I will update my CPU before I go SLI. What do you think of the one in my link? At first I was set on that 680i that you linked but they're out of stock and have no ETA.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Try looking for one with the 680i chipset - or if you can wait, the 780i chipset motherboards are set to be released in the coming weeks.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There is a shortage of 680i chips at the moment, most retailers are having difficulties getting ahold of the motherboards that need them.
Evga and other manufactures realize the problem and NCIX should have some soon, but like you said no one knows of an ETA at this moment.
Found this out from Terran (he's NCIX staff).
I also suggest getting the one Settybet mentioned, though, I'd order now and get on the back order list if you want to get this asap.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I recommend THIS DFI motherboard I hadn't seen it till now. DFI makes the greatest motherboards for overclocking and etc, basicly what you pay for is worth every penny. And its a P35 chipset which is newer than the 680i.

Soorena

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

It must be SLI-Ready.

P35 chipsets aren't SLI ready. And plus, newer doesn't always mean better. In this case, it doesn't. The X38 chipset is the only Intel chipset that can compare to the 680i.

What's next, are you going to say that AMD's Phenoms are better than Intel's Core 2 Quads? :) Or are you gonna tell me that ATI's 3000 series is better than NVIDIA's 8000 series? :)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I personally don't recommend SLI or Crossfire as they are just marketing gimmicks. One can find better cards for the price of the two cards that youa re getting, unless there is no better card than the current.

Also stettybet0, I find your comment to be offensive as it questions my knowledge of computing. I was just pointing out that DFI makes good motherboards and that the one I suggested is a good overclocking motherboard, I am not forcing him to buy the Mobo I suggested he can buy what he wants.

Soorena

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Sorry buddy, I was just joking because of the little ATI banner in your sig, nothing personal.

However, I think SLI is a main feature the OP wants in his motherboard, considering how the title is "SLI-Ready Motherboards in the $200-$250 range"

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
No harm done I can take a joke I guess. I am not a fan of ATI just am stuck with one for now.

Soorena