Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe constantly crashes.

• Please log in to reply

AJPod

AJPod

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
HI, this has been bugging me for several days now. I ran and installed a file sent to me by a friend, not really checking as to what it was - supposedly 'funny' I should now better, but I didn't think twice. Well, since then, my system has slowly been dying off. I reckon that I tracked something down to C:\Windows\Temp with some Win(3numbers eg 449).exe files located in there that started to run after this program ran. I deleted these files, and that worked as a temporary solution, but the problems have come back. Basically, explorer.exe gets consistently terminated by something running under the guise of rundll32.exe, which, no matter what I do, consistently runs and cannot be terminated (it just comes back straight away). Anyhow, I reckon it might be something that has integrated itself into the windows explorer shell, as whenever I do get explorer working for 10 or 20 secs by terminating rundll32.exe before running explorer.exe, rundll32.exe comes back once I open an explorer window eg. My Documents. I've done a full system scan using the most up-to-date version of avast! but with no luck at all, which makes me think it might be the windows system mucking up. Also, I did, at one time, upon starting my PC, get a BSOD quoting code c000021a, which supposedly is a mess with csrss.exe or lsass.exe. I'm stumped as to whether it's a virus or windows system file messing my computer up, but I have done sfc/ scannow and repaired windows files, and I'm still lost.

HiJackThis log removed by moderator

Any help would be much, much appreciated!

Edited by Murray S., 22 November 2007 - 10:02 AM.

Advertisements

Mark K

Mark K

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Have you tried opening msconfig to see what services/programs are starting up when booting the PC?

Start Menu > Run > type msconfig

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Murray