Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP (Home Edition)Blue Screen of Death code question...

• Please log in to reply

Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello out there there...

I am need some help with a serious "blue screen of death" issue that I am having. I recently loaded some software (VSO convert to DVD software). After loading the software, I accidentally unplugged my PC. After restarting my machine, and getting the machine was shut down unexpectedly error. I tried going thru Advanced Options and I actually picked all of the options at least once and with all of the options, I kept getting the infamous "blue screen of death" with the following error:

STOP: 0x0000008E

win32k.sys - address bf841CBD base at BF800000

Datestamp 452511a2

I keep getting this error right after I pick any option within Advanced Options. It will get to the Windows XP logo and after about 10 seconds, I get the above mentioned error. Please help....any suggestions to get past this? I am going to reload it with either Windows XP Pro or Vista anyways at some point, but I do have some files that I would like to get off there before that happens. Please HELP!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Dennis Jones...

There are a lot of things that can cause this BSOD...so it may take trying a few things to get it straightened out.

Do you have an XP installation CD?

wannabe1

Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't have one for the Win XP Home Edition, but I do have one for the Win XP Pro. Will that work in that case? Do you think that it is possible to go to the Dell website to get a recovery disk of some type???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The XP Pro disk probably won't work for this...it will be seen as an upgrade and try to install Pro on the machine.

Download RC.ISO and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system on the machine you'll be burning on. If you use this burning tool, just right click on the downloaded image file and choose "Copy Image to CD" to start the application.

Let me know when you have the disk burned.

Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
This will take a while and I will let you know when I get this done...

Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok...I have done it...what is next, whenever you are back online... :) :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot the machine with the rc.iso disk in the drive...you should see a prompt to "Press any key to boot to cd", press the spacebar when you see it. When it gets to the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console.

You should then see your operating system listed with a number: 1: C:\WINDOWS Type the number for your OS (Usually 1) and press "Enter". When asked for the Administrator Password, just press "Enter". At the resulting command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter"...note the space before /r).

This will start a 5 stage check of the file system...be patient, let it finish. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal as it tries to repair problems it finds. Once it completes and you see the command prompt again, type exit and press "Enter". The computer will restart. Let it try to boot to Windows normally.

Does this get you back into Windows?

Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am trying it now...I will know something in the next hour or so...

Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Didn't work for me...still getting the BSoD....what else can I do...

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What model is your hard drive?

Edited by tuxmaster, 28 November 2007 - 12:12 AM.

Aichi

Aichi

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I downloaded ISO Recorder on a vista laptop, Copied RC into a cd-r disc.

When I put it into my BSOD'ed pc, I can get into the Welcome To Setup page, but whenever I try to press the R button for the Recovery Console, chkdsk /f

Nothing comes up

It just says in the bottom of the page:Examining 38147 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi...