Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

$200 dollar desktop

• Please log in to reply

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
My son wants a new computer for Christmas, for some reason he does not like his 15 - 20 year oldPackard Bell 2.5 GB HD 32 MB ram that is running Windows 95 :) .
I found this at Wal-Mart and thought I would ask for a few opinions before I decided to buy it or not.
Thanks in advance, Keith.

Advertisements

Mark K

Mark K

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
What will your son be using this for? If its jsut word processing then it wil do, but if he wants to play the occasionally game, or watch movies then it might not be enough. The OpenOffice software that comes with it, you can download for free, couple clicks and its installed. I noticed this PC doesnt come with Windows or Linux, are you sure thats what you want?

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
gOS is a Linux OS.
I just found a review by silverbeard here and I think I am going to buy it.
*Keithr wishes he had used the search function on this board before posting a new topic

Edited by keithr128, 22 November 2007 - 10:19 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Had one "No" in the reviews because the system ran too slow even with added RAM. You never know what or why a review is listed as what is slow to one person may not be to another. Depends on what you do with the computer. Gaming? I would say no. Most everything else? Yes indeedy at that price.

Didn't see any mention of ant-virus or firewall programs. The Operation System is a Google operating system. Google has a bad reputation as far as its Privacy Policy for GMail so not sure how this would affect the O/S. Remember Micro$oft always "phoned home" and still does to a certain extent although M$ says no.

Not a bad price just to try it out, but do so before the end of the return period is up in case you don't like it.

Ron

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Why not use a free Linux OS? :)

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

gOS is a Ubuntu system optimized and customized to use Google apps.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Why not use a free Linux OS? :)

Because OP wants to update the complete computer for his son and a new $200 computer at Wal-Mart is a good deal which will do this. :)

Ron

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
I found this one a while back there is a topic somewhere around here on it

http://www.everex.com/gc3502/

Why not use a free Linux OS?

his 15 - 20 year oldPackard Bell 2.5 GB HD 32 MB ram that is running Windows 95

Maybe thats why :)

As Ron said he is looking for a complete package

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I found this one a while back there is a topic somewhere around here on it

http://www.everex.com/gc3502/

Hey, that one looks good...except for Vista. :) At least it has a firewall and Norton (ugh) to start off with. Good find.

Ron